Author Topic: depression  (Read 1523 times)

lynnee

depression
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:48:00 am »
Hi,

I'm currently in pretreatment mode trying to decide if radiosurgery or microsurgery is the way to go.  The question I have is about depression.  I have had chronic depression for many years prior to my AN diagnosis.  I was wondering if anyone has a similar history and how their treatment (radiation or surgery) affected their depression, did it get better, worse, or stay the same?

Thanks.
Linda
51 y.o.
1.4 cm x 1.2cm x 1.3cm in the CPA touching the brainstem
8mm x 4mm in the IAC

free2be

Re: depression
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 09:02:49 pm »
Linda,

I am in the pretreatment phase also; so, I can't address your question about after treatment. However, I can relate to depression all too well. I have had a problem with depression all my life and I am on medication to treat it. However, that doesn't mean that when something major comes up in my life that I don't experience an increase in my depression. This is MAJOR. Have you talked to a doctor about your depression and are you being treated for it? Did it just start with the news that you needed treatment or has it been on going. I am sure that people who do not have problems with depression may start to experience them with this type of medical issue, just like with other major life events. This can often be helped with temporary regimen of antidepressants. Whether there is any physiologic correlation between AN and depression, I do not know. I have not heard of that, but this is enough to bring on serious depression. Talk to your doctor because there is no need to suffer with depression if you can treat it.

There is a separate section on the forum for emotional health issues that will probably have some threads in it already that may more adequately address your question.

Hang in there. If you want to "talk" you can send me a PM.

Take care,
Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: depression
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:18 pm »
I had a rather interesting experience.  My craniotomy was not for an AN, but another tumor.  I was in the midst of a depression prior to my diagnosis.  Just after diagnosis and following surgery, I actually experienced an improvement in mood and depression.  I am not sure if it was because I was so busy taking care of everyone around me, or if it was just that it put some of my other emotional issues into a different perspective.  Either way, things improved for me.  I can see, however, why it could and may cause more depression, perhaps based on anxiety and concern, and just "another issue to deal with".  Make sure both the doctor who is treating your depression and your surgeon are aware of your situation, and perhaps they could even consult with each other to find the best method of controlling your depression.
Best of luck,
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego