Author Topic: Article on diabetes and hypertension caused by 10th nerve compression  (Read 1702 times)

jerseygirl

Here is an article on diabetes and hypertension caused by 1Oth nerve compression. It was resolved in many instances by microvascular decompression surgery:

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=10047&Section=Disease

10th nerve is involved in many, especially large ANs, and once in a while there is a patient on the forum complaining that his/her blood pressure and/or blood sugar are out of control ever since surgery. I used to think it was mere coincidence but after reading this article, my opinion has changed. Surgery very well might create poor circulation that mimics compression thus resulting in all kinds of side effects. This is pretty thought-provoking!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

sunfish

Re: Article on diabetes and hypertension caused by 10th nerve compression
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:14:07 pm »
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for posting this link!  I'm one of the folks with ongoing high blood pressure after CK.  General consensus has been that the whole tumor/CK/decadron thing just hastened the development of essential hypertension that would have developed anyhow.  However, I wrote Stanford's Dr. Chang, and he also commented several months ago that I should look into Dr. Janetta's work as a possible (but unlikely) cause.

Another hopeful thing about the article is that it was reviewed by Dr. Sunil Patel at MUSC, right here in Charleston, SC.  In other words, a doctor with whom I could consult in person about this link.

To those who may be considering CK as a treatment option, please do not let my blood pressure issues scare you off - there's an excellent chance that I was just a high blood pressure case looking for a place to happen (although I've always had low bp, Dad had a serious problem with hypertension).
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

sunfish

Re: Article on diabetes and hypertension caused by 10th nerve compression
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 06:07:47 am »
I went on the website for the journal Surgical Neurology International, and was able to obtain a free copy of the original research article.  Very interesting.  I will probably ultimately consult with someone regarding whether or not this would apply to my hypertension or not.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC