Author Topic: herpes med prior to surgery???  (Read 8790 times)

Karla83401

herpes med prior to surgery???
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:50:01 pm »
Hi,

One more final under my belt and only one more to go. I was so excited that I finally took the time to look through the information and instructions from the House. Imagaine my surprise when I researched one of the prescriptions and discovered it is for genital herpes. Is this a common medication that is prescribed prior to AN surgery? If so, why?

I could understand the one for "phisohex" and am frankly happy to do about anything to help reduce the chance for infection. Perhaps that is what the famvir does.

I am getting more nervous as the time approaches and as I work my way thru the finals, but I will so relieved to get this over and done with. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Summer is here and there is camping and fishing to be done.

I have milked the tumor thing to explain everything I mess up and I do plan on milking the recovering from brain surgery as much as possible. I can just see myself sitting in my fishing chair outside the travel trailer and having the kids get me bottled water, snacks and making sure I am in the shade. Hey, I did it for years for them....now it is my turn.  :D ;)

Okay I tried one of the smiley faces because now I am living on the edge. Hope it worked.

Take care and hugs to all,

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Battyp

Re: herpes med prior to surgery???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 06:57:50 am »
thanks a new one on me. You know many people have herpes and it's surpressed in their systems (not saying you do) so maybe it's just a precautionary thing as something traumatic can cause symptoms.  I really don't know I'm out on a limb  LOL

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 07:02:13 am »
I suggest you call your surgical counselor at House and ask them why you've been prescribed this med.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 07:34:42 am »
   I was given the herpes med in the hospital after my mid fossa surgery over 4 yrs ago.    I was not after my recent trans lab with the same surgeon.   it was Valtrex.     It is interesting how doctirs have their routine way of giving meds.    I was only given so many doses of steroid and antibiotic post op and none at home.        Also no drugs pre op.     
 Good luck Karla.    The waiting ahead of time is so hard!               Cheryl R.       

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

vcschaub

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 03:18:56 pm »
I was prescribed the herpes medicine, Valtrex, prior to my surgery at House. Recent research has indicated that the herpes simplex virus may be the cause of Bell's palsy which is an inflammation of the nerves in the internal auditory canal. Since acoustic neuromas occur in the internal auditory canal it is prescribed in order to prevent possible complications. It was stopped after surgery. However, when my facial weakness set in 2 weeks post op I was put back on steroids and the herpes medicine as well.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 05:33:48 pm »
Hi Karla,

I was given Famvir to take 3 days before my surgery which I believe does the same thing that Valtrex does.  I agree with what vcschaub had to say, please trust House Ear Clinic, they know what works. It will all be over soon and you will be feeling much better. Keeping a positive attitude is half the battle. I wish you the best!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:08:38 pm »
How weird--I've had 2 episodes of Herpes simplexcommonly called shingles, or Chicken Pox revisited. Nasty and very painful. Mostly along my arm and up the back of my neck.  Once when I was in my  mid twenties, and another 11 years ago. Does anyone know of a connection to AN?

Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Static

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 06:58:03 am »
I wish I had been put on something like that.  Ever since I first got pregnant about 17 years ago, I started getting fever blister (which is a form of herpes).  Anything traumatic or if I am getting sick or am sick usually causes me to get a blister.  Well, after the surgery, my whole bottom lip was broken out with blisters.  Had to get the Valtrex that my family doctor had prescribed for me to take them away from home to help me.  The hospital wouldn't give me anything :/
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 07:29:44 am »
I wonder if there is a correlation with outbreaks after AN surgery...I'm sure it could probably be expanded to any type of major surgery!  A lot of people have a form of herpes and dont' even know it.  It can lay dormant in the bodies for years.  Some as many as 20 years and then something tragic happens and it flares up.  Things that make you go hmmmmm.....