Author Topic: Great news!!!  (Read 2809 times)

MLB57

Great news!!!
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:09:29 am »
 ;D  Hi Everyone!!

It's been a wonderful week for me!--My grandson, Matthew David, who will be two in May has a new baby brother-- Dylan Jacob was born April 17, 12:45 pm, 8 Lbs, 15 oz, 20 1/2 long--dark hair and eyes...  Momma and baby and famiy are all doing fine. So now I have two beautiful, healthy granchildren!!!

And I had my 1 1/2 year MRI scan April 21 at Mass General.  I saw Dr Loeffler about an hour after it was taken.. He immediately showed me the 2008 scan and the new one--what a difference!! My 2008 scan showed a big white spot w/dark spot inside, but this scan showed a small dark spot!  Dr Loeffler said it is looking good (as he expected) and I won't need another scan until 2 years from now.. He told me the 2008 scan tumor looked larger as it swelled up from the radiation. (I suspect in 2008 he didn't offer to show me that scan because of the swelling but he had 3 interns with him at my appointment and I actually forgot to ask to see it as he had told me everything looked fine--but this time he immediately showed me the scan without my asking).. When I had LINAC in Fall 2007 my AN had grown to approx 1 cm again (orig surgery in 2001 for 1 cm rt AN). Dr Loeffler said it now looks to be about 8mm.  ;D

I wanted to share this with everyone--my good response from my radiation treatment is reason to celebrate for everyone who has had or is thinking of choosing radiation to combat their AN... So far so good. And having previous surgery that didn't get it all I am so thankful this is working...  ;D

Take care everyone,

Regards, Mary (aka Grammy/Mary, who is not "Mimi" to grandson Matthew)... :D
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Great news!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:24:15 am »
CONGRATS...celebrate and enjoy your weekend!

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:21:16 am »
Excellent news!

Congrats!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MLB57

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »
 :) Thanks Jan and GM!!!

Since I knew my AN was growing again I have been a regular (only missed a couple or so) at the Maxwell Silverman Brunches that Phy has organized--the first I went to I think only had 6 or so poeple and it is really wonderful to connect with people who are going thru the same stuff--and share our experiences and give and get support from each other..  I missed the last one as my son and wife were having my grandson #2 but I plan to be there next brunch this fall..

Yes, let's hope we all can be fortunate to experience positive results with radiation therapy!!! 

Best always,

Mary (aka "Mimi")     ;D
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

elliemae

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:45:20 am »
Hi, Grammy Mary!
All of your news is fantastic!  Hope to see you and many pictures of grandkids in Oct!

And thanks for your description of your meeting with Dr. L.  I am going to print it out and hopefully remember to ask to see those films when I go for my next followup next year.  Like you, he didn't show me the films after my first visit last Dec ... and, I never seem to remember to ask things until about an hour after I've left the office!  I think I am just grateful to hear "stable", but I do think I could have got into some of the details, like "just what does that mean?"!!!

See you in October!
Elaine

MLB57

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:43:09 pm »
 ;D Hi Elaine,

Thanks for your Congrats!!  I wished Dr Loeffler had shown me the scans in 2008--he could have just explained that the tumor swelled from the radiation and I would have been okay with that explanation because there is a dark spot in the middle of the scan anyway.. I do like the way Dr Loeffler shakes my hand and says "Be well"   Kinda nice touch!

Yes, looking forward to seeing everyone this fall for brunch!!

Hoope you are well also.. 

Regares, Mary (aka "Mimi")..  ;D

lholl36233

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 04:11:15 pm »
Congratulations Mary.

Missed you at the last brunch. 

Hope to see you at the next one and pictures of the grandkids...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!