Author Topic: Looking for others who've had retrosig  (Read 4929 times)

Battyp

Looking for others who've had retrosig
« on: April 08, 2006, 04:28:26 pm »
I know there are others who've had retro but am not sure who.  We have a newbie who  is just being diagnosed and is looking for someone to talk to because typing, and reading are a challange.  Anyone else out there willing to share what to expect?  Let's face it we all know I'm not the best poster child for retro   ;D  Anyone have info on doctors in the DC area? 

Thanks all! :-*

stein78

Re: Looking for others who've had retrosig
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 01:32:41 am »
Mine was removed using the retrosigmoid approach.  Besides the hearing loss and some buzzing/ringing in the AN ear, I don't really have any other problems.  I'm very lucky!
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:22:42 am »
Stein looking at your scar I'd of thought mid fossa or translab because mine didn't look like that.  In fact they didn't shave my head at all except to put fudicials on before my mri to mark areas.  I'm haing my short hair, I cut it off thinking they would shave it.  UGH!  So you don't have any balance problems? 

stein78

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 06:53:13 pm »
My balance is just fine.  However, every now and then I feel a little off, but nothing major.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 11:24:59 am »
Hi Batty, I had retro also. At this point I have only slight paralysis in my face. Mostly near my lower lip. My balance is getting better with time. If I can help please let me know. :) Luvs, Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

californiagirl

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 11:40:12 am »
hi,

I am somewhat new to this site. I had retro four weeks ago today. I was only in the hospital for 5 days and am healing quickly. I have a little dizziness when I turn my neck quickly to look at something and also some headaches when the weather changes. I did lose most of my hearing on the an side which is hard to deal with because i had nearly perfect hearing before in that ear. Overall I am thankful and feel very blessed.

This was a very hard thing for me to go through because I had never had any health problems before, never any surgeries nor been in the hospital. I think the most difficult part was the unknown. So, having a huge support group, lots of love, prayers and people around me was so wonderful for me to cope and walk through this. I also had a wonderful hospital with outstanding doctors, nursing staff and ICU staff.

I hope this will help anyone facing this in the future.
AN (L) 1 cm
surgery date 3/13/06
Dr. Shajjadi/ Dr. Rosario
San Jose, CA

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 11:41:45 am »
Cali girl thanks for sharing!  you sound like you're doing ok and getting there much quicker than I did! 

californiagirl

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 01:10:23 pm »
I thought this might help others with sleeping at home after surgery....

When I slept I had about four pillows all around me. I am usually a side sleeper and since I could only sleep on my right side, it helped to be able to move my pillows around to get my neck and head out of the same position. After awhile my neck would get stiff and sore so using a smaller pillow under my neck was great while having larger king size pillows for my back. It was like having a hospital bed at home when I wanted to sleep on my back to give my right side a break.
AN (L) 1 cm
surgery date 3/13/06
Dr. Shajjadi/ Dr. Rosario
San Jose, CA

dgrummer

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 07:11:32 pm »
My husband had RS surgery on 2/23 at UAMS in Little Rock, Arkansas.  His AN was almost 3.5 and he returned to work this week.  He probably could have gone back earlier – but the weather has been so nice and it was good to have him home while our daughter was on Spring Break.

Other than loosing his hearing in his right ear – everything is great.  No facial issues, no real balance issues, no headaches.  He did have a couple of sever headaches about his 2nd week after surgery – but we think those were from just overdoing it.  Hasn’t even had a Tylenol in the past several weeks.  When he gets tired – he gets a little unsteady on his feet – but nothing major.  After several ear infections myself – our balance is about the same….his may actually be a little better.

His scar is about the same size as Stein78.  His hearing was perfect prior to surgery and his only real symptoms were numbness on his face and the tip of his tongue.

We go back next Tuesday for his follow-up MRI – keeping our fingers crossed that they got it all like they think they did.

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 08:04:31 pm »
Thanks for sharing....I didn't fair as well so it's nice hearing that others have!

Especially if anyone is considering this type of surgery...

Lorraine

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 08:13:13 am »
I also had retro and lost my hearing which I did not think would happen.  I have a lot of problem with tinnitus and fullness feeling.  Very little balance problem. I went back to work after six weeks.  Does anyone else experience this fullness feeling? Sometimes the AN side of my head feels like a brick.   
Acoustic Neuroma Rt Ear
7mm
Surgery 2/9/06
Dr. Allan Friedman, Duke Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 08:48:50 am »
Wow back to work in 6 weeks?  I'm impressed...I'm working from home and barely surviving.  I def. need a new career!  I have numbness on the entire left side of my head so I feel as Capt Deb so eloquently stated in another thread "wonky headed".  Just chronically tired too?  How are you handling that?