Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 6701 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Newbie
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 10:31:29 am »
Oh, you just have a wee tumor.  You'll be fine.  Enjoy the month and a half ahead.  Ride yourself silly and then have a bit of a vacation in the midst of winter.  You will want to have a caregiver/poster for the day of and week or two post-op.  We must know of your well-being immediately.  You are very lucky to be at MEEI/MGH.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 11:45:30 am »
Lynn, welcome to a very exclusive club.  I was driving a little over 2 weeks post-op.  It took me about 3 weeks before I drove at night.  But as many have posted, everyone is different, so don't get frustrated if it takes you longer than some.

I don't ride horses, but I feel pretty certain I could get on my bike and go for a spin right now.  Unfortunately its about 29 degrees right now, so its not high on my list of "things to do on Saturday."

Best wishes on your surgery!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 04:43:52 pm »
Hey horse person!!!!

I've just found this post, and the mention of the word HORSES ...so had an extra reason to welcome you.   This reply is mostly about horses as related to balance issues.

Glad to have you, (if you've got to be anywhere, this is the place to be if you have an AN). I went horseback riding 3 days before my radiosurgery, (which was Tuesday December 1, 2009--yep, four days ago!!!)  and am going to go at the end of next week for the first time since the radiosurgery. 

I've ridden (walk/trot only) all along, even as my balance has worsened because even though I've been having (and of course, still have) balance issues, I have already found out that I am better on a horse than off it, which is the greatest excuse in the world to be at the barn where the horse I ride stays.  My biggest issue has been driving, because I feel "carsick" a lot from the balance issues, and it makes it hard to drive sometimes...driving while drinking Pepto Bismol and eating soda crackers is hard to do, messy, and not safe. But guess what?, after I ride, I dont feel carsick for about 2-3 hours.

On my horses, I'm actually totally stable, and strangely , there is no dizziness no carsickness or balance issues unless i completely close my eyes...and even then i can compensate better on horse than off horse. 

I find the movement of the horse (forward/back and side to side) during the walk forces me to work my core muslcles, which of course help with body support and balance.  So physically and mentally and spiritually beiing on a horse is the most therapeutic place i can be.  This rhythmic movement is what makes horses so effective in hippotherapy programs for disabled/injured adults and kids.  Trotting is a little harder for me if I post, but sitting trot seems be just fine.  I am doing a lot of working iin figure 8 patterns since this helps me use my lower body to turn the horse correctly (vs see sawing with the reins).  Am also having a friend always be present when I ride, just to be safe, and I  ALWAYS wear my helmet. 

I havent read all the other responses to you yet, but did you know that there are licensed physical therapists who are using horses to help folks with balance issues?   If you are interested, I can get you the weblinks to associations who might help that way.

And of course, there are great physical therapists who specialize in vestibular (balance) therapy.  My doc in Florida recommended that I seek that option if my balance issues continue.. Right now, I'm waiting...siince it's only been 4 days since my radiosurgery.  But  be sure and ask your doctor about your concerns and possible need for vestibular therapy prior to your treatement so they can discuss it with you BEFORE you start feeling frantic/pressured/etc.  (PS..actually try NOT to feel frantic/pressured..it makes the physical issues worse, I swear)

Also, there is a thread somewhere on this forum with some really great balance exercises that I've been using (and was using prior to my radiosurgery) that I found helpful..  it's like my body would get wonky, off kilter, but if i just keep doing the exercises, after a couple of days i'll suddenly notice a slight improvement/compensation.  So patience and persistence in doing these exercises helps me a LOT.  Look in the forum area under the BALANCE areaand you should fiind some good ones, and i know other people will chime in with suggestions as well.

Off topic (forgive me Moderators)....what kind of horses to you ride, type of riding, where do you ride, do you own or lease or beg/borrow horses? How long have you been riding?  I'm a senior citizen (57 year old body, 17 year old attitude) who has always been around horses on the ground and took up riding 2 or so years ago, and am even more horse crazy now.  I also work with horses using Parelli (and other natural horsemanship) techniques to teach ground manners to horses who might be candidates for work in therapy programs similar to the balance programs i mentioned above.

Good luck, and welcome.
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington