Author Topic: 9 months post surgery  (Read 2484 times)

karith

9 months post surgery
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:18:03 pm »
Just thought I'd check in and add an update, to share with others and also to serve as a marker, of sorts, for myself.  Sometimes I think it just helps to make note of how things are at a given time to be able to compare later as progress continues more subtly. 

So, on this 9-month anniversary of my surgery, this is where I find myself:
1) SSD in left ear, the AN side...permanent
2) mild to annoying tinnitus on AN side, plus some occasional electrical-like zaps that seem to be happening less and less frequently
3) mild to amusing metalic taste (sometimes everything tastes like BUTTER!...even my coffee, or a glass of water!... :o)
4) mild to confusing wonky-head and/or drifting sensations when moving...as if I'm walking on one of those moving sidewalks at an airport
5) mild to semi-disabling balance difficulties, especially in dark surroundings and/or on uneven/unfamiliar footing, and also related to nearing edges (such as curbs) and curved lines (such as a curved swimming pool) that confuse my perceptions
6) previous atypical migraine syndrome has returned, after about 5 months or so of relief post-op...wondering what made the chronic headaches disappear after surgery (perhaps the strong steroids they gave me for a few days?)...currently a mystery

I read the forum occasionally and have mixed reactions, ranging from encouragement to discouragement, so am doing so less frequently these days.  Most of all, I still CELEBRATE HAVING THE TUMOR GONE FROM MY HEAD(!), and accept the costs (both physical and financial) as the lesser of evils. 

I have found that openness and honesty with others (at work, at meetings, etc.) about my hearing loss is helping others be more comfortable about it in my presence, as well as helping me accommodate my needs...such as where to sit for optimal hearing.  Restaurants or other venues with high ambient noise are really challenging, and I notice some funny expressions sometimes when I can't respond to someone because I have no idea what they said, or if I do respond with something way off topic because I have no idea what they really said:)  I don't think I know how to read lips, but I sure rely on seeing someone's face while they are speaking!  Oh, yeah, I almost forgot to mention: it helps to consider which side of the commuter bus to sit on, just in case someone sits next to me and tries to engage in conversation :)

Eventually, I think I'll check into a trans-ear device to improve my sense of where sounds are coming from.  It sure is surprising to find a car driving by me when I couldn't hear it coming...something to take extra precautions about when crossing the street, for example.  No wonder I can get a little disoriented and wonky, spinning my head around to check for and locate sounds, eh?!

I'm considering applying for a permanent disability placard for my car, now that my temporary one has expired.  It would certainly help in avoiding extra risk in getting to and from my car, as in large parking lots or in parking-crowded city streets, especially in the dark, and especially if I'm carrying something that affects my balance.  Yet, somehow I feel a little guilty, because I'm at least mobile :-\

One interesting thing I've discovered:  when I go out with my camera for some photo ops (my favorite form of exercise and activity!), I find my balance is really tipsy while I'm looking through the view finder with one eye and the other eye is closed.  This narrows my field of vision, of course, and often I find myself starting to tip over:) 

Well, this all makes for some funny stories and some good laughs, although a small part of me certainly misses the "good old days" prior to the AN.  I try to be grateful for everything that works, though, rather than focus on what doesn't.  I would still make the same choice (the surgery) if I had it all to do over again.

Now that this turned out a lot longer than I intended, let me sign off by wishing you all a grand conclusion to this waning year and lots of bright moments to look forward to in the next one :)

Cheers,
Karen

1.1 cm x .5 cm left AN
Middle-fossa surgery 4/3/09
Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz, House Ear Clinic, LA
tumor successfully removed
returned to work 6/2/09
now: SSD, balance challenges, tinnitus, metalic taste, sudden headaches
1 year MRI looked okay; follow-up with another at year 2

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 9 months post surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:25:56 pm »
Karen ~

Please accept my thanks and appreciation for the time and effort you put into your update.  It is highly informative and of course, many of us can relate to your experiences and the emotions that sometimes accompany this 'new you'.  Most of all, I applaud your affirmative, optimistic attitude that sees the situation realistically but with a level of equanimity that is refreshing and encouraging for those just receiving the AN diagnosis, possibly facing surgery and wondering what life will be like, afterward.  Your answer: 'pretty good!".  Thanks again for your update.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

karith

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:14:59 pm »
You're welcome:)

This forum is such a supportive and informative resource for anyone dealing with AN.  My thanks to all of you for being here!
1.1 cm x .5 cm left AN
Middle-fossa surgery 4/3/09
Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz, House Ear Clinic, LA
tumor successfully removed
returned to work 6/2/09
now: SSD, balance challenges, tinnitus, metalic taste, sudden headaches
1 year MRI looked okay; follow-up with another at year 2

foodsmarts

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:39:45 pm »
Hi. I can relate to all your symptoms and the parking lot terrors To prevent being surprised by a car pulling up behind me, I park at the furthest away spot and then walk around the very outmost edge to get to my destination. Being at the furthest away spot makes backing up and getting out easier. Parking lots are my biggest challenge and I feel most at risk while in them.  I have a cane and haven't been using it but my therapist (balance) has suggested I keep it in the car and use it just for getting from the car to the stores - for the extra security.

We rarely eat out with other couples in restaurants anymore...too hard to hear. When we eat out together, we sit on the same side, my husband on the good hearing side. That positioning helps a lot.

Your taste sensations are interesting. Mine too are mild to annoying - metallic and salty/serumy - kind of like monosodium glutamate and a tinny taste combined. It enhances some foods and over rides others - when it is flaring up (?), meals can be disappointing. For some odd reason, sulfites have started sticking out of the flavor of any food I consume with them - like red wine or the other night we had scallops which my husband thought delicious and I thought tasted like briny vinegar soaked rubber disks. At times I have to chew mints to keep from being slightly nauseous although these occasions seem fewer and farther between.

It sounds like you are coping very well and have a good, fully functional sense of humor - which is ultimately what saves us. Good luck going forward! Helen
5.4mm X 3.2mm X 3.88 mm at diagnosis 8/28/08; 1.1 cm X .5 cm 6/16/09; CK Stanford Drs. Chang and Soltys 8/19/09