Author Topic: Two Day Count Down  (Read 6392 times)

Pembo

Re: Two Day Count Down
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 06:18:15 pm »
Julie, I remember the angst over my screwed up face but tears in the eye is a very good thing. I didn't have that for a couple years. Lots of rest now and stay strong.......Welcome to your new normal
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 06:48:25 pm »
Julie -

glad things went well  :)

From what I've heard from Cheryl R, Dr. Gantz is a great doctor - you were definitely in good hands.

Happy healing!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 08:07:20 am »
Julie,   I was thinking of you last Thurs and hoping the surgery went well.        It is hard to have the facial paralysis and waiting it out to see when it improves.        The nerve healing can be slow.                    Are you using a heavier drop for the eye than what Iowa City gave you?                 They are not good about what is best for eye care in my opinion.   
Sounds like you are doing well but take it easy as things get better in time.               Keep us posted how it is going.
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 10:08:38 am »
Julie .....

I, too, was thinking about (and praying for!) you last Thursday ..... and then wishing you could have seen and talked with other wonderful ANers who have walked in our shoes at the symposium.  Two years from now it will be in Cincinnati ..... mark your calendar.   :)

Sorry your tumor had to be a sticky one, but glad it is now out and your recovery is going well.  My thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 11:51:20 am »
Good to hear from you, Julie!  It's a good sign that you are posting for yourself already.  Also a very good sign, I think, that you already have tears.  I, as so many others here, had my facial nerve streched as well and had temp facial paralysis - my tears didn't come back for a couple of months.  So, perhaps yours is going to bounce back quickly...but often it can take some time, so do try to be patient.

Keep us posted,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 02:33:03 pm »
Hi, Julie ~

Thanks for posting your 1-week surgery update.  Although you may have some post-operative facial  'issues', I trust they'll be temporary.  In this situation, your tears are actually a very good sign! 

Get the rest you need, stay positive and update us occasionally, as your time permits.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

juliec

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 02:16:04 am »
It's been about 10 days since my surgery. My head hurts most of the time and I haven't seen much improvement in my facial nerve function. The corner of my mouth can move slightly if I try hard. That's about it so far. I know it's still pretty early and I'll try to be patient. My balance is getting better. It's nice to be able to walk on my own. I wish I could sleep through the night, but the headaches wake me up and keep me awake.   :(
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN
1.8 x 1 cm Middle Fossa surgery Univ of IA 8/13/09

epc1970

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 03:50:11 pm »
Hi Julie
I remember just after my surgery that my surgeon pronounced that my face would be "Just fine!" when all I could move was the corner of my mouth! And I was thinking "this man is crazy."If it is any sort of reassurance to you-my face is, in fact, just fine now. Though everyone is different,  I was about 3 weeks out when all of a sudden there were changes every day. I had to talk my myself down every day until I started to see progress to "be patient." I know it is hard but try to relax and let your mind rest that you will see progress-I know it's hard to trust but things will improve. You are only 10 days out-now is the time to rest and give that nerve time to heal! As far as the headache goes, if you are not able to get relief I would suggest  checking in with your surgeon to see what he suggests. Take care.
Erin

suboo73

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 06:52:36 pm »
Well, the surgery was a week ago. I got my stitches out today. Surgery went pretty well. The tumor is gone. Julie

WOW, Julie!  Congratulations on being out and about already, one week after surgery - amazing!
I am sending my best thoughts and prayers for continued healing.
You are very brave and now you are a 'postie!'  :D
Please keep us updated on your progress.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W