Author Topic: 3 year anniversary with a happy ending, beginning :)  (Read 1634 times)

Shawna

3 year anniversary with a happy ending, beginning :)
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:11:54 pm »
It's been 3 years since my AN surgery at Stanford.  I had a 1.4 cm AN removed on November 10, 2005, and have resumed life at full steam.  The first month post-op was very scary with the balance issues and temporary paralysis on the left side of my face.  Most of that is gone now and I am sooooo very thankful to my Drs. and my family for getting me through such a delicate and frightening procedure. 

I was back at work by Christmas that year and I got pregnant with my second child just 6 months after surgery. If my daughter had been born a boy, she would have been named after my surgeon Nikolas Blevins (I love him!! - I want to nominate him for sainthood).  Instead, her name is Victoria Grace!

I have been very fortunate, and have nothing but nuisance effects to remind me of my AN.  They are quite funny actually... (does anyone else have this? )  When I eat, especially spicy food, the left AN side of my face waters/leaks.  My eye tears up and my nose runs.  But when I cry, the other side of my face responds.  It's very odd only tearing up in one eye during a sad movie.  Also, the left side of my tongue is kind of numb and doesn't taste anything anymore.  So if I accidentally get a green bean in there... I just push it to the left. :)  problem solved.   I haven't tried roller coasters yet to see if they are still exhilarating and fun, or if they'll just make we want to barf.  I have noticed that if I challenge my son to a "who can swing the highest" contest, I do get a little whoozy.  Otherwise, I have recovered quite completely.  I still have hearing in my AN ear (middle fossa approach), a little ringing, some oscillopsia, and a leaky face! What more could a woman want!?

I just found out my high school friend's husband has just been diagnosed with AN.  I told her to come to this site and use it.  It helped me feel like I wasn't alone when I needed some support.  Bless all of you for being a part of this.  I just thought I would share my happy ending to the AN and happy beginning to my renewed self with all of you.
Thanks for being here!
1.0 cm AN - left
Surg: 11/10/2005
Dr. Blevins @ Stanford Univ.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 3 year anniversary with a happy ending, beginning :)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:45:31 pm »
Shawna:

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a message that is uplifting and encouraging!

Your recovery is fairly similar to mine (very good).  I too have a few, minor residual effects from my now-excised AN but like yours, they are easily dealt with.  My hearing (in the affected ear) was already gone prior to my surgery and radiation so that was not an issue for me.  I've adjusted as well as could be expected to the hearing loss, which is, on the whole, a somewhat minor impediment as I hear very well in my 'good' ear.  Just a few months ago, while on vacation, I rode the 'Space Mountain' roller coaster at Disney World.  I had no problems doing so.  My wife commented that I "must really be O.K." if I actually enjoyed the ride, which I did.   

Again Shwana, we appreciate your sharing the good news of your splendid recovery.  Please try to 'drop by' the site/forum again.  We love success stories!  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MKLady

Re: 3 year anniversary with a happy ending, beginning :)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:28:12 pm »
Shawna,

Thank you so much for sharing.  This journey is long and it's easy to think it will never end.  I'm so glad to hear from someone on the other side that is back to normal except for a few minor reminders.

I'm 7 months post op and had no movement at all until 6 months.  I began having a slight movement at the corner of my mouth.  Since then it has gotten a little looser and I've started having some fluttering or tingling sensations, especially around my eyelid.  Fingers crossed for it to keep going.   :) :)

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.