Author Topic: Pooter Follow-Up w/Surgeon Report  (Read 2350 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Pooter Follow-Up w/Surgeon Report
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:05:02 pm »
Greetings everyone!

I had a follow-up with my surgeon today (some 6.5 months post surgery).  All in all it was about as expected.  He seemed pleased with my progress so far.  My balance is decent (he had me walk a line heel-to-toe) and I didn't even fall!  There's still a wee bit of facial weakness left.  He mentioned that the "twitching" that has recently come about was probably the muscle fibers "waking up" finally.  After another 6 months if it is bothersome, then he said they use Botox injections to alleviate the twitching but they won't do anything for another 6 months.

I haven't called to schedule it yet, but I have my 1 year post-op MRI to schedule with a follow-up appt with my surgeon to discuss results in May.  Let's just pray that it's as uneventful then as it is now.

Overall, I've recovered very nicely and it was the people of this forum that have been with me every step of the way.  You guys/gals have seen my ups and downs, answered all my questions, calmed my fears, informed me, and most importantly have benefited from my tantrums when I just needed to get something off my chest.  I wholeheartedly thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have done, and continue to do, for me and my family.  Thank you doesn't seem like enough.  You all hold a special place with me and my family.  Just in case you're wondering, no you haven't gotten rid of me yet.  :)

That's it.  Nothing else really to report.  In this case, no news is good news.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

texsooner

Re: Pooter Follow-Up w/Surgeon Report
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:51:07 pm »
Brian, sounds like you are doing very well. While I haven't been there during your whole journey, I appreciate hearing from folks like you that are ahead of me on the timeline(you're about 3 months ahead of me). Here's hoping your 1 year and future MRI's continue to be uneventful. Thanks for posting. Happy Thanksgiving.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:09:27 pm »
Brian-  I always enjoy reading your posts!  Since our surgeries were so close together, I kind of feel that we've traveled this road together.  I am so pleased to hear how well you are doing and am sending my best wishes to you and Jen and your kids for Thanksgiving ...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 06:24:09 pm »
Brian,
That's great news.  I'm so glad you posted it. I hope you are planning a Thanksgiving to beat the band!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:00:42 pm »
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the update.  It's always great to hear good news and yours sounds very good.  Hopefully, by the time you see your doc again for the one year follow-up you will be fully recovered.  It's nice to know something can be done for facial twitches  at that point but I hope it's not necessary. 

Wishing you continued good healing and best wishes to you, Jen and your children for a Happy Thanksgiving!
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:05:48 pm »
Way to go Brian!!  What a great success story! 
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:36:55 pm »
Pooter~
Hey!  SOOOOOOOO glad that you had a good check-up today!   ;D  Did I miss it somewhere else -what about the insurance...what happened with that with you appointment here?  I guess it was OK if you kept the appointment?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 11:19:41 pm »
Thanks all for the kind replies.  I realize that I'm very lucky to have minimal consequences after only 6 months.  Many people have greater struggles for much more time.  That's one of the reasons I try to stay active here and as well as getting involved with the local ANA group.  I want to give hope to those who are after me as well as those that had procedures done after me that there is ALWAYS hope for the future; that's there's a light at the end of the seemingly endless tunnel we're all in. 

About the insurance thing.  It turns out that I didn't have the "choice" that I thought I had.  While I was free to "choose" HMO over the PPO, ultimately they wanted to get numbers of people who wanted each and decide based on that what could be done.  I was the only one to have chosen HMO and such to add it to the plan would have greatly increased the monthly rate for all.  It was decided by the owner that we'd only have a PPO at this time to keep the group cost down as much as possible.  The plan exactly was chosen with that in mind also (they weren't going to have a medical history, or ask any questions about history on the PPO plan we went with, but they would have with others).  Ultimately, PPO was the only choice.  It just wasn't the choice that I made.  The owner's wife called me this morning to talk about it and explain it all to me.  She honestly felt bad about it, but felt for the good of the group, it had to be done.  I understand now and I'm ok with it...I don't like it, but I'm ok with it.  With only 18 of us on the company insurance, I should be thankful that I have any kind of coverage at all.  I am.

If I don't "talk" to any of you before, have a great Thanksgiving!  And yes, Marci, I'm planning on having one for the ages.  I learned over the last 7 months that I have MUCH to be thankful for; much of which I have always took for granted before now.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »
Brian:

Great news regarding your six-month check-up!   

I'm sorry you were unable to obtain the medical coverage you desired and that the whole process was basically a misunderstanding of sorts between you and the benefits administrator.  However, you're correct in being glad just to have medical coverage, even if it may not be exactly what you would choose if given the option.

I wanted to personally express my appreciation for your choice to remain a part of the AN community as an encouragement and resource for others, specifically the newly-diagnosed.  Folks such as you are the core of the forums that have helped many AN patients and will continue to grow in coverage and service as more people like you decide to stick around, even as your recovery progresses nicely and your AN experience recedes into the background of your life experience.

Indeed, a Thanksgiving celebration to remember, this year.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 07:05:15 pm »
Pooter -

thanks for checking in.  I'm so glad to hear the great report on your recovery.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways