Author Topic: Does the AN really affect the balance?  (Read 4888 times)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
Does the AN really affect the balance?
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:53:11 pm »
I just went through vestibular testing due to my imbalances and found to have severe nerve damage on the AN side, but they don't think it is from the AN because my hearing loss is only mild. They think I might have had a virus at some time destroy it.  I am finding it hard to believe that they are not related, my balance has been getting worse for 2 years.  Has anyone had this as well?
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

lori67

Re: Does the AN really affect the balance?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:30:09 pm »
Well, since the balance nerve and the hearing nerve are a "two for one" deal - they're both wrapped in the same insulation - I'd find it hard to believe that anyone could say they are not related.

I had absolutely no hearing loss in my AN ear, but when I had my vestibular testing done, it was determined that my balance nerve was only functioning at a little over 40% of it's capacity.  Because the damage to that nerve was gradual, my other side was able to slowly compensate and take over the extra work for the AN side.  It really depends on the position of your AN - mine happened to be more on the balance portion of the nerve, but a lot of other people had hearing loss and no balance issues and some had both.  Location, location, location.

The virus theory is a little hard to understand as well, because if the virus attacked your balance nerve, why didn't it affect your hearing nerve as well?  Maybe someone else out there has an explanation for it, but it sounds a little fishy to me.  I think I'd ask a few more questions of the people who gave you this information.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:45:10 pm »
My balance was bad for ten years.  I had no hearing loss at all.  As a matter of fact perfect hearing in both ears.  After AN surgery, no hearing in right ear and my balance is not any better than it was prior to the surgery and I have had almost three years of continuous PT.  No one ever suggested anything other than the AN being the cause of my balance problems.  Interesting though.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:34:18 pm »
I am finding it hard to believe that they are not related,

I find this hard to believe also.

Balance issues and ANs seem to go hand in hand.

As Lori said, the balance and hearing nerves are very closely related.  The facial nerve is also right in there with them. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 11:57:20 pm »
They don't call it a vestibular schwannoma for nothing!

Some of the text book descriptions say that the classic symptom of an AN is unilateral hearing loss, but as members such as Brenda will attest, you can easily have an AN without hearing loss -sometimes quite a big AN. The majority of ANs start on the vestibular nerve. What symptoms you get is that box of chocolates thing.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 09:13:24 am »
Yeah to that "box of chocolates thingy" Steve and yeah to Brenda's description as I too had only balance issues for years before my hearing went down with the "fishies".  I agree with Lori's explanation. 

Remember vestibular schwannomas are "rare" so most "professionals" don't know the real intricacies of the tumor, treatment, and patient experiences pre/post treatment!  They will come across like they know by telling us "You couldn't possibly be having those symptoms as your tumor isn't big enough!"  or "Your tumor is out, you couldn't possibly be having so much difficulty so the cause of your problems are probably something else!"  Gotta love those professionals who come across knowing more than the patient just because they are the "professional"!  I know I've given them reason to "pause". 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Bobbibl

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 10:33:35 am »
At least from my experience it did not play a huge role in my balance but I think that was because my other side was compensating for so long.  My AN also grew to 4 cm before I even had a symptom (fullness in the AN ear but with near perfect hearing).  The first 2 days after surgury I had some balance issues but was walking rather well by day 3.  I am able to run no issue about a month out .  I think that's the tradeoff of having a "huge" AN is that your body has already compensated in terms of balance by the time it's even found.  Unfortunately, by your body hiding it for so long you have basically only one option for treatment and SSD is expected.
4cm AN removed 9/23/08 at Columbia-Presbryterian in NYC by Dr. Michael Sisti with Retrosig approach.  No facial/muscle/balance issues just SSD on left side.

lugnuts

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:09 am »
I believe the AN is usually really a vestibular schwanomma, or tumor on your balance nerve, that is so closely linked to your auditory nerve that hearing is normally the first symptom.  I believe the hearing nerve is more sensitive so is usually damaged (killed) first from the pressure caused by the tumor, but not always.  It makes no sense to me that you would be told it is not related.  I had hearing symptome for about 5 years before my AN was diagnosed; since diagnosis my hearing problems worsened and, for about the last two years, my balance problems have been progressing.  The cranial nerve 8, the balance/hearing (vestibular chochlear) nerve affects both hearing and balance.
Remember, we on the AN forum are just giving our opinion.
JD

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 02:51:01 pm »
Re: Bobibl's comment that "I think that the tradeoff of having a 'huge' AN is that your body has already compensated in terms of balance by the time it's even found". I don't think the AN even has to be particularly large. Mine was around 1.3 cm and my balance had already compensated -- location of the tumor is about as important as the size.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »
At least from my experience it did not play a huge role in my balance but I think that was because my other side was compensating for so long.  My AN also grew to 4 cm before I even had a symptom (fullness in the AN ear but with near perfect hearing).  The first 2 days after surgery I had some balance issues but was walking rather well by day 3.  I am able to run no issue about a month out .  I think that's the trade-off of having a "huge" AN is that your body has already compensated in terms of balance by the time it's even found.  Unfortunately, by your body hiding it for so long you have basically only one option for treatment and SSD is expected.

Astute observations.  We know from experience that our bodies certainly do 'learn' to compensate when presented with a loss of function in almost any area. 

My AN was over 4 cm before it manifested enough symptoms to motivate me to see a doctor, albeit reluctantly.  Until that time, my balance was serviceable although my hearing was gone on the 'AN side' (my left).  Within a few months of having the MRI that revealed the AN, my balance had become noticeably poor and my taste had also been severely compromised, resulting in a very diminished appetite and subsequent 35 pound weight loss.  At my neurosurgeon's urging, surgery (and radiation) were almost immediate (barely 3 weeks after my diagnosis) .  This experience fits your description of late-discovered, large acoustic neuromas.   

Now, 28 months post-op, for all practical purposes my balance is fine, although if I stumble and lose my balance, I don't recover it as quickly or as smoothly as I once did.   I can live with that.

Thanks for your constructive comments .

Jim    
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:51:18 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denisex2boys

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 12:43:52 pm »
I guess I was very fortunate in the balance department - - I had sudden hearing loss but only a few minor dizzy episodes - - when I had the surgery my balance nerve on the AN side was completely gone - - but my right side had been compensating for this for many years - I had very few balance problems after surgery as well - about the same as when I went in .....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

cin605

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 12:59:58 pm »
My balance is more off now than ever..I start vestubular rehab. Nov.12 YAY!!!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 06:38:16 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, it seems that alot of you had vestibular damage as well.  I feel defeated sometimes and think I may complain too much about my symptoms and when they are not validated I feel maybe I shouldn't push treatment. 
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 05:01:42 am »
I hear you on the not feeling validated so you tend to let your problems drop.  I see the size of your tumor and would like to add you keep close watch on facial issues as surgeons who are experienced with this tumor have stated the bigger they become the more difficult the surgery is to save the facial nerve.  Anything greater than 2 cm becomes more difficult, not impossible though, just more difficult as some on this site have had large tumors with no facial nerve involvment and the skill of your surgeon plays important roll in this too. 

My first signs were balance issues for a few years (told it was age-related or stress), then headaches (told it was migraine), then hearing nerve (told hearing loss was age-related and/or loud concert), then finally years later (12 years to be exact) the vestibular schwannoma diagnosis.  By this time my facial nerve had become involved and my tumor was small/medium at time of diagnosis.  Please keep eye on facial nerve while you W&W. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 05:18:56 pm »
Thanks Arushi
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!