Author Topic: Going for CyberKnife Next Week  (Read 4191 times)

Marine2340

Going for CyberKnife Next Week
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:34:45 am »
I finally decided to go the Cyber Knife route. I will be heading to Jacksonville, Fl this coming weekend and seeing Dr Allison Grow on Monday. Two days of pre-op and three days of being zapped! Hopefully all goes well and i can get this behind me and get on with my life and military career. I will update when i get back!   ;D

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Going for CyberKnife Next Week
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:20:14 am »
Glad you made your decision, you sound very positive about your choice and this is a good thing!  Here's to the death of your tumor and may you have a speedy recovery!  P.S. Have a joyous 4th and thank you for "standing watch"! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Marine2340

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:03:31 pm »
Your welcome!

Thanks for the well wishes!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:10 pm »
Marine -

first and foremost, thank you for choosing to serve our country  ;D

It's good to hear you've made a treatment decision.  I'm not sure how long you struggled with that since you're a newbie, but in my experience it's not an easy decision to make.

Good luck with your treatment.  If you find time, please put your CK on our AN Calendar.  You'll find a link at the bottom of Steve's (sgerrard) profile.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

AJ

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 04:21:14 pm »
Hi there!

I had CK the end of May.  The first week or so, I felt some minor headaches and head and ear fullness, but of late, I have felt really good.  Now I sit and wait until November for an MRI to see what the little bugger is doing (dying hopefully).

Anyway, I just want to wish you the very best of luck!!!  You will get through it just fine!  And thank you so much for serving our country as a proud Marine!!!

Annette
2.5cm AN diagnosed 3/25/08 Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Some hearling loss in right AN ear.
Slight Tinnitus and slight imbalance.
CK scheduled for May 28th! Woohoo!

swiftie55

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 10:14:49 am »
Hi Aj---well done --hope the ck does the job----i was diagnosed with AN last month--1.5 cm-- over here in the uk,the consultant wants to operate--but having researched the various sites and information, i feel ck is for me too.  It will probably mean a trip to the USA--or Munich-- and i'll have to pay for the treatment myself--no insurance--but hopefully it will be worth it!  Good luck with your first test--chris.--manchester --uk.

windy

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 05:28:32 pm »
I wish you the very best in your treatment!  I hope all goes very well for you.
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

goinbatty

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:05:16 pm »
I know you're relieved to have this decision behind you.  Dr. Grow is so nice and supportive.  I actually contacted her among other CK centers.  I'm sure you'll do just fine.  I had CK back in January.  The only side effects I had were temporary fatigue, increased tinnitis (but I still for the most part ignore it), and a little clumsy.  Due for repeat MRI this month. 
Good luck and keep us updated.
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 05:43:01 am »
Hello and welcomes to Marine and swifty!  I commend Marine for serving our country valently... and swifty, I have the UK connection as well.... spouse is true bloke (Darlington, Central London and Shaftesbury-Dorset), as is my family (Sheffield and Leeds).... good to have you along!

Marine, congrats on completing the "decision-making" process as many of us know, it can truly be unbearable sometimes, but now that the monkey is off your back and the decision is done, never 2nd guess it, hang in there and know you are doing what is best for you and your situation.  Being a CK-grad from over 2 yrs ago (and many more here that are long and short term radio-treatments), we are here to help you along during the process.  Wishing you well for your upcoming treatment....

Swifty, we are here to help as you go through the process..... wellness wishes to you as well. Cheers!

Again, welcome... and best wishes,
Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

swiftie55

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:12:40 pm »
--thanks for the welcome!--ck sure looks like the deal for me---did you have any problems post op?--There are SO many different stories on this  and the uk site, that makes a final decision rather confusing!

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 06:44:24 pm »
Good luck on your treatment!!  It seems that the decision on treatment is the hardest part...wishing you the best.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 07:08:24 pm »
--thanks for the welcome!--ck sure looks like the deal for me---did you have any problems post op?--There are SO many different stories on this  and the uk site, that makes a final decision rather confusing!

swifty (and other UK gang checking into CK)... this is posted on the cyberknifesupport website. Someone did a post noting that they are UK based and had ck... and they created this site. They did a nice job putting it together.  May be worth a peek.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?m=23333&f=12&p=1#m23699

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"