Author Topic: Head cold  (Read 3664 times)

kimmy

Head cold
« on: November 20, 2005, 01:15:51 pm »
Hi, Kimmie here. Two weeks back at work and I have a terrible head cold. Have you noticed only one side of your nose runs and you can't blow it without ear pain? Well, you can't blow the AN side at all actually.  I used to find that a cold diminished your sense of taste but with the metallic taste as well food tastes awful.  I can't find anything that tastes normal! I'm 3.5 months post op now and my facial paralysis has definitely improved, I can smile and raise my eyebrow.I'm hoping that the taste symptom will fade as well given time. Till then, well, I'm losing weight and for me that's a good thing!! ;D
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

dpericoni

Re: Head cold
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 02:15:20 pm »
Hi Kimmie,

I am almost 4 weeks post op and between the second and third week I developed a cold. I, too, noticed that only one side of my nose runs. How interesting. What's up with that? I gave up the post-op rule of not blowing your nose for a month. Couldn't do it.

Darlene

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 03:20:39 pm »
18 mo post op and my nose still doesn't run and eye doesn't tear. I got a cold last winter and the worst part was the diminshed hearing on the good side from all that congestion.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 12:50:54 pm »
Im glad to see this post. I have been wondering what would the effects of a cold be. My nose doesnt run and my eye doesnt tear either. I was hoping a cold would be easier to deal with.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

tgentile

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 06:34:32 pm »
I have a head cold right now. It began exactly 2 weeks after surgery and is now going on its 4th day. I've never had one this bad before, ever. My nostril on my AN side (rt) bleeds. I never got bloody noses before. Its been dry in the house with the hot air heat and all, but I never had it this bad. I see the Dr tomorrow to get the stitches out. I'll see if its coincidence or just my luck.

Oddly, the day before the surgery I felt a cold coming on. I started to have a sore throat. I prayed that they would not postpone the surgery. I wanted to get it done, cold or not. The weird thing was that I was 100% (cold wise) after the surgery. I was sure that I'd have at least a sore throat.

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 10:19:10 pm »
Oh joy something new to look forward too?!!!  I work with kids so I'm doomed..Does the non tearing eye thing ever get better?  How about the rininging in the "good" ear?  I have come to deal with the constant ringing in the an side...

matti

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:03:53 pm »
When I have a cold I never get a runny nose on my AN side. However I do get a lot of post nasal drip, which I never had before the surgery. I also experience the same thing with my seasonal allergies. I get more symptoms on my non-AN side. I am 7 years post-op.

The hardest part in dealing with a cold is when my good ear gets congested and then I can't hear much of anything and then my balance seems to be more off than normal.

I use alot of saline mist especially during the winter months, as it really helps with the dry air. It has really been a life saver and is very gentle on the nose and sinuses.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50