Author Topic: IRSA negative about cyberknife and ans  (Read 3492 times)

Louise

IRSA negative about cyberknife and ans
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:22:20 am »
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the website of IRSA.org.  They seem to be negative about ck treatment for ans.  I will quote some of their material.                               "While Cyberknife is a great new technology for those parts of the body which cannot be accurately repositioned by other means, it is not yet clear that there is a benefit to using it on the head, where the skull allows for other repositioning technologies.  While Cybeknife's targeting may be more accurate than FSR, the combination of additional X-rays and the change in radiation pattern from a continuous sweeping arc to discrete shots may offset the benefits."                                    Also     "More precise techniques using one session Gamma Knife machines or one-session linac technology are best utilized within the brain.  There is no benefit to fractionated radiation treatments when one session radiosurgery can be performed.  Multiple radiation treatments may mean less tumor control and more permanent side effects."                   

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: IRSA negative about cyberknife and ans
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:44 am »
Hi Louise,

I'm a little perplexed by this one... but, noted here is the FDA approval for Cyberknife from 2001..... and even notes at the end of the report its uses, as per approval.....

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf/k011024.pdf

(.pdf file, so you will need Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to open the link... free version can be found at www.adobe.com).

Hope this helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:04:18 am »
ok, now I'm double perplexed!

I just took a peek at the IRSA website and forums.... everything is GK! Now, that isn't a bad thing..... but my concern... I chose their link for "Centers of Excellence" for the New England Area. GK only thing noted... in RI, they noted Yale but not a word about Dr. Georg Noren and his work in Providence. For Massachusetts, they noted Tufts University, yet, no mention of Mass General and their FSR or Proton.... Brigham/Womans and their Novalis..... nor Beth Israel and their CK.....

In looking at the discussion forums... esp. for discussions on AN's.... again, all GK.

Now, I have no issue with GK... but this is looking awfully biased to me....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:12:43 pm »
Wow, this is interesting. I am going to be deciding within the month whether to do CK or Gk....hope many will weigh in on this.

Thanks,

Mary

Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Mark

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 04:52:41 pm »
Louise was good enough to pose the question over on the CPSG board and attached is the response to her from Dr. Medbery

If I tell you this is the Gamma Knife users' society does it make things more clear?

No, CK does not expose you to more radiation, and no, it is not true that fractionation is bad. It may not always be advantageous, and we frequently treat with a single fraction, but sometimes fractionation is useful.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

So with thanks to Louise for asking the question, I think this explains enough to say "case closed" The bias is beyond debate.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:54:58 pm »
Mark and Louise....

You rawk! :)  Nuff said.

Phyl