Author Topic: Update from cheza  (Read 2131 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
Update from cheza
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:23:07 pm »
Hi all,

just thought I'd drop in for a bit, say hello and just keep you up to date with whats going on in my life...I mean head, well anyway, since I last dropped in i have been having physio by way of a small tens machine, and after 3 weeks WOW! I have a small smile and you can actually see the crease around my nose move up and down, I'm so excited, I hope this is the way of the things to come.

Tomorrow i am  at the hospital to discuss my new BAHA, any feed back from other BAHA's would be appreciated as i haven't had any real feed back, just the type you get in the information leaflets, but I'd like to hear some of your experiances, the tinittus is really bad at the moment with just the slightest sound setting of the horriable ZZZZZEEERRRRRRIINGGGG and then, me jumping about 5' in the air, I'm hoping the BAHA will ease this slightly.

Ok well thats all for now, I'm just feeling so positive at the moment I just had to share it with you all, and send some of my positivity across the pond to you guys, I'll drop in again in a few days and let you know how things went at the hospital.

Love to all, Take care, Cheryl XxX :-* 
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Sam Rush

Re: Update from cheza
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:33:10 pm »
Greetings

The BAHA will not ease the hyperacoustic tinnitus, but a trick that I have learned is when it is bad, plug the good ear from air conduction as much  as possible, then just use the BAHA for all my hearing. This is not always practical, but in certain situations is helpful, like a loud TV/radio, or someone clanking dishes, or a real loud room.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 02:43:56 pm »
Hi, Cheryl:

It was so exciting to read that your having success with the facial physio.  I hope it continues.  It's so good to know you're on a positive 'high'. 

I can't offer any relevant input relating to the BAHA but I'm sure others will.  I hope the device helps your tinnitus a bit.

Please continue to let us know what's happening with you.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 07:03:20 pm »
Hi, Cheza -

welcome back.  I'm a little confused here.  Do you have a BAHA already or are you going to have it?

I'm not sure if you want feedback on the surgery or the device itself.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:12:54 pm »
Hi Cheryl,

Nice to hear from you. I am curious about the machine (naturally): what is a "small tens" machine? It sounds like something is happening face wise, which is great news. Where there is a little bit of activity, there will be more to come, so stay with it, and stay positive.

All I know about BAHA's is the accessories needed to clean them. For some reason, BAHA's fascinate me. :)  From what I hear, though, I think you will like it.

I wish I could jump 5 feet high, I might be able to play basketball then. Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:50:04 am »
Hey Cheryl,

Good to see you and tickled to hear the positive!  Hoping the BAHA works out and let us know how the appt goes.....

Welcome back!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 08:43:03 am »
Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been so long getting back to you all, to say I have been hectic is a major understatment, between my mother in law breaking both her legs, my father in laws 65th birthday, my husbands 30th birthday, our first wedding anniversary and not forgetting to mention my best friends hen night and helping her with all the wedding arrangements, I've hardly had 5 minutes to my self, busy, busy, busy!!!!

Anyhoo, thanks for the words of wisdom, I have indeed decided to go ahead with the BAHA thingy, I think it will help and I was lucky enough to have a lady from the hospital phone me who also had an AN and a BAHA fitted at the same time as her operation to remove the AN, "double wammy" she was very nice and seemed to champion the BAHA, she was certinally very positive about it.

I think I have made the right choice, I'm just a little worried about the surgery, thinking about having surgery in the same place as I did just 6 months ago just fills me with dread and I've only just got some length to my hair, oh well, get the bic razor out again, maybe i'll start a trend.

steve a tens machine is a small device that delivers small electrical pulses to the musles, a good example of these is the musle toning machines used by many women in an effort to get that troublesome flat stomche, you can also buy them from any good chemist as  pain relife for back or neck ache used by physio's, the one I use for my face is very small and uses a very low voltage just to stimulate the musle as i am sure you must be aware the nerves regenerate faster when using repertion so the continuous use of the tens machine tells the nerve that thats what it should be doing.

since the last time i was on here my small smile is slightly bigger and now when I smile the cheek moves under my eye, my eye creaes ever so slightly, I can see it, I don't really care if anyone else can, I know its moving, I will hopefully have that all important camera smile ready for my friends wedding in four weeks time.

Hope your all well, take care Cheza XxX  :-*

diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 01:16:32 pm »
Hi, Cheryl:

Yes, your life is certainly hectic but you seem to be handling it fairly well.  I'm sorry about your mother-in-law's accident and I trust she is on the mend, although somewhat incapacitated.  I was pleased to learn that you've made a decision on the BAHA and are willing to surmount your fears to have it implanted. I'm sure it will be a big help to you.  As for the surgery, hey, short hair is cute!  ;) 

That you're seeing progress in your facial movement is very good news that we all can be happy about.  You go, girl!

Thanks for sharing your news with us and try to stay connected here...whenever you can find a spare moment.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 01:49:06 pm »
Hi Cheryl,

Hectic is not a strong enough word!

I believe the BAHA surgery is quite simple, I think it can even be done in a doctor's office. Compared to your previous surgery, it should be a piece of cake. :)

Thanks for the info on the tens machine - that makes sense.

Take care and I hope it all goes well,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 02:41:31 pm »
Cheryl -

congratulations on your BAHA decision.  Do you have a surgery date yet?

I had the surgery at the beginning of March and it's really simple - nothing like AN surgery.  It's usually done on an outpatient basis and lots of times with local anesthesia.  I doesn't take more than 90 minutes or so and a lot of that time is just prepping and draping the patient for the surgery.

It's perfectly normal to be nervous, but try not to be too nervous - it will go well  :)

As for the hair, the BAHA site is only about 2" x 2" so the doctor won't shave much at all.  I wear my hair short and while my site was healing no one even knew I had a bandage on it.

Good luck,

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways