Author Topic: HOME HOME HOME, NO PLACE LIKE HOME  (Read 3679 times)

berniejfnp

HOME HOME HOME, NO PLACE LIKE HOME
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:58:57 am »
To all My friends,

Returned from MGH on tuesday around 1 PM.  2 days ICU, 2 days neuro floor.  The surgery went better than anticipated according to DR. Barker/Poe.  The tumor was removed completely, no facial  palsy, no eye droop and presumed preserved partial hearing as was preop.  My greatest challenge is dealing with the vertigo/nausea.  It seems the only analogy that I can make is being at sea in a hurricane, adrift and having eaten something that had food poisoning.  Not a pleasant scenario.  Between the couch, the bed, the bathroom and occassional strolls to the kitchen, I have all but become inert (compared to my preop life).  My dog has latched on to me like velcro on my pantyhose.  When I sleep, I wake to her having delivered all sorts of personal items from the house from the boys, and my husband.   

The support that this group has given me during my preop quandries has been a guiding source of strength.  This whole ordeal would have been far more difficult without my friends out there who I have only met on line.

I am in need of taking some rest now, so I will close with a very deep thank you, you have touched me deeply.

Bernie

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: HOME HOME HOME, NO PLACE LIKE HOME
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:09:41 am »
Bernie,

SOOH glad all went well for you... and no eye and facial issues

Know that you will feel better with time.

What a sweet puppy you have! What kind of dog? Is the name Toto  :D (re "no place like home"  ;) )

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Mark

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 10:25:01 am »
Bernie,

Congratulations on a great outcome from your surgery  :)

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:54:39 am »
REST, REST, & MORE REST.....   Little by little your energy will return, very slowly but surely, along with your balance.    So glad all went well with your surgery.   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 11:40:01 am »
Bernie,

Congratulations on a successful surgery! You are so lucky to only have the nausea after surgery. I did not have that problem but had all the others. O well! Like Nancy said , Get plenty of rest!!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:52:24 am »
Bernie,

Congratulations and welcome home!

I hope the hurricane and rough waters end soon and you're enjoying smooth sailing.  It does get better.  Take time to rest - sounds like your dog has everything under control over there!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 12:59:22 pm »
Congratulations on a becoming a postie!  You were certainly in good hands.

You're not long post-op, so continue to take it easy and rest all the time.  The vertigo will get better.  In the meantime, if you need it to get over this hump, you can talk to the docs about an Rx for the naseau.  That helped me the first couple of weeks.

Lots of hugs!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:21:16 pm »
Bernie,
  Congratulations on being a "postie".  It sounds like you're doing very well, even though you may not feel like it right now.  Know that the vestibular issues will get better.    A physical therapist versed in Vestibular Retraining may be able to help speed things along.
  When you're ready for walks, it sounds like your dog will be ready to help.
Regards,
 Rob 
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 06:05:25 pm »
Bernie -

I'm glad you feel up to posting and telling us how you are doing.  The vertigo and nausea are issues I can relate to.  I was actually in the hospital one day more than they anticipated because I was so nauseous (or however you spell it LOL).  Things will get better in time.  The best remedies are resting and relaxing.  Walking will also help with your vertigo and nausea, as well as your balance.

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 11:14:15 am »
Yahoo! Yippee!
Let's raise a toastie!
Our boy Bernie
Is now a Postie!

Don't worry as both an AN and a real-life hurricane survivor (Hugo, St Croix, 1989) believe me, things do get better.
Hope the seas smooth out for you soon.

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 09:39:48 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 11:40:56 am »
Welcome home Bernie and welcome to the land of the posties!  Glad to hear everything went better than expected...that's always a huge plus.  As others have said rest, rest and rest.  Let the dog and the hubby and the rest take care of you.  I like the velcro feeling, personally.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 02:03:21 pm »
Bernie... what can I say?  :) Welcome home, welcome to being a "postie".. and most of all... continued wishes for wellness.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"