Author Topic: having a drink at christmas  (Read 2713 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
having a drink at christmas
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:49:09 am »
Hi to all,

I go in for surgery on the 9th Nov by the time I get over the first month it will nearly be christmas I'm just wondering if I'll be allowed an alcoholic drink with my christmas dinner, Not that I'm a raging alcoholic or anything, I'd just like to join in with festivities and all that, as this wont be the first christmas and new year where I've sacraficed a hangover, my daughter was born in january 1997 then a year later january 1998 along came my son so I didn't really drink for about 2 years then a couple of christmas's ago I was very poorly with flu so no drink passed my lips then either, I think someones trying to tell me something!

I'm thinking it will all depend on how I feel, I guess if I'm still a little of balance the last thing I'll need is alcohol, I'll prob be wobbly enough without.

;D cheryl
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: having a drink at christmas
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:14:48 am »
Cheza,

Best to not even think about drinking, just yet anyway as you are getting ahead of yourself.  Concentrate on the "now" or "today" moments as your post surgery recovery will dictate what Christmas holds for you in regards to balance, energy, etc.  BUT, from what I know about drinking post surgery, for me one drink feels like two.  Please begin to increase your water consumption now so your body is well hydrated and you will be able to continue this after surgery.  They say 6 to 8 glasses is sufficient, well they are right--sufficient to keep you alive, but 14 to 16 is keeping yourself hydrated.  It's alot of water if you've never drank this much everyday that's why I say to start now, increase your daily amount by one to two glasses until time of surgery.  I didn't get it until I "upped" my hydration and this is when my daily headaches went down considerably post surgery, now 14 to 16 glasses is the norm for me and I can tell when I haven't had enough. 

Will be thinking about you on November 9 and my thoughts go to your doctors on that day.  I look forward to hearing from you after your surgery. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 08:22:58 am »

I would agree that 1 drink feels like 2 .. and 2 drinks feels like 4... etc.. and 10 drinks feels like 20....  ;D

let you body tell you if its ok ... if your NOT on any meds .. and NOT driving .. why not???  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:12:35 am »
Hi, Cheryl:

By Christmas, you'll be a full six weeks out of surgery.   :) 

While no one can accurately predict the future, especially when we're discussing recovery from AN surgery, I would think that, barring complications requiring you to take strong medication, you should be able to safely imbibe an alcoholic beverage to help celebrate Yuletide.  As you noted, you'll have to make that decision based on your condition at the time and I hope it will allow you this bit of normalcy.  I may be an optimist but I can see nothing wrong with looking ahead and setting little goals for oneself that are linked to getting back to normal, as much as possible.  Enjoying a traditional alcoholic drink during Christmas dinner certainly would help you feel a bit more like a 'regular' person instead of a medical patient and looking forward to doing so is simply a sing of positive thinking, in my opinion.  Go for it.   ;D

Jim       
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:20:49 am »
Cheza, I had surgery December 15, 2005.  While I was blessed and exilarated enough to enjoy our Christmas day party, I didn't even want a drink of wine.  My taste buds were not ready for it.  By 6 weeks post op you will have reported to your doctor and all should be well.  You might escape the taste problem completely as some have.  If you have a fast recovery and are off all meds, I think a nice glass of wine would be wonderful to celebrate at Christmas dinner.  I'd have two extra glasses of clear water to chase that.

By January 15, one month post op, I was definately able to have a glass of wine.

Mary 117

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 04:18:38 pm »
Hi. Good luck with everything yet to come. I had a drink about 2 weeks post-op and it tasted awful. I think you will find that one side effect for many people is the taste buds- at least it was for me. I can't imagine any reason why you can't have a glass of Xmas cheer but beware the taste buds.
I'm really not quite ready to think of Xmas. I need thanksgiving turkey 1st. :)
Mary!

2cm AN, Middle Fossa, HEI, Dr. Brackmann, 05-24-05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

satman

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 04:40:11 pm »
You know what I say,
bottoms up and tops down,oh wait, thats a different forum, sorry
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 09:46:19 pm »
I  have a couple of beers in the evening or a drink or two when out for dinner at a retaurant. I don't notice any difference in my tolerance (or lack of) since my surgery. I walk like I have a had a few even before I start...

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 10:03:59 pm »
You could do what my brother-in-law does, due to a heart condition, and have some bubbly apple cider instead. Looks just like champagne! And maybe have a sip of the real stuff, if not a glass.

If necessary, I'm sure my fellow forum members will join me in having a drink for you during the holidays.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 05:01:08 am »
Hi all,

Well I guess I'll just ahve to see hoe I am at the time, thanks mary hope your right and that the taste thing doesn't affect me, here's hoping, and Happy thanks giving for when it arrives as you know we don't celebrate that in England.

Thank you Jim, you understand what I'm on about its not just having drink its abou being normal and getting back to reality I have to look forward to something and it might as well be the thought of enjoying christmas with my family and toasting christmas day and the future.

Cheryl XxX   :)

diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.