Author Topic: Neurontin, anyone taking it? for? side effects? how long  (Read 1894 times)

crystallady

Neurontin, anyone taking it? for? side effects? how long
« on: October 03, 2007, 05:25:07 pm »
Is anyone taking neurontin?  What are taking it for and what are your side effects?

dally1932

Re: Neurontin, anyone taking it? for? side effects? how long
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:03:03 pm »
I am 5 years post AN surgery. I took Neurontin for about 9 months two years ago for heaches/stabbing head pain on the AN side. The pain managment doctor started at about 400 mg per day and slowly moved me up to 4000 mg per day. I initially thought it helped some, but after 9 months I felt it had lost its value and tapered off of it. Now back to oxycodene which sometimes seems to help the pain, but other days nothing seems to help. Good luck with your doctors in finding the right medicine for you! I do hope I am the exception with my pain problems, and frankly I feel it was due to the lack of experience of my neurosurgeon (4-6 per year). He originally diagnosed it as an epdermoid cyst, so I didn't have the benefit of this forum until 9 months after surgery when my vestebular therapist told me about it on the first day of treatment.
The best to you!
Chuck
Left AN Tumor 6/02/02 1.4 X 1.8

Dealy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:42:34 pm »
I was put on Neurontin after I developed severe stabbing pains in my AN side called Trigeminal Neuralgia. It is an electrical shock from facial nerves that can be so painful I could not even eat or talk and I was off work for a week-getting better. So for the side effects. Most people report weight gain and some fatigue. Also plan for alot of Gas-no kidding. Doctors tried to move me past 400MG but I could not tolerate that and my symptoms got worse. I have been on this for a month and a half. They instruct that you cannot just stop this med because it is an anti-seizure med and it can lead to seizures if you do not get off gradually. last week even the Neurontin was ineffective so our family doctor gave me Oxycodone-pain pills. I took those with my Neurontin and got sicker than a dog-you have to eat with this-if not you may get deathly sick-at least I did. I stopped Oxycodone because it is additictive- I did not like it at all. Most people can tolearate high doses pf Neurontin but the best course is too take small an titrate up as needed. Hope this answers some of your question-but me-if a pill has an adverse side effect-I am the first one too get it so that is why I do not like meds unless I have too. Also their was a post about gross noses today on another thread. I think this good have been part of my Trigeminal problem because I had my sinsuses Ct scan last week and have serious sinus congestion called Sinutitus. So now I am on a strong Antibiotic for that. Have a good evening-hope you get feeling better. Ron

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »
I take neurontin for chronic headaches - been on it for years (can't remember). I still have the headaches and at times debilitating but when I stopped taking the drug, the headaches got worse (if thats possible).

I take 1800mg per day - any more and it makes me a bit drowsy.

Neurontin is a nerve ending pain reliever. - as for side effects - can't say I have any at all.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz