Author Topic: AN and hair?  (Read 2782 times)

satman

AN and hair?
« on: July 14, 2007, 10:01:27 am »
while taking showers i have realized
more hair in my hand,shower walls and floor.
has anybody exp this or have any info?
i was thinking maybe some of the meds ?
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: AN and hair?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:10:38 am »
No hair loss in my case (and very few meds) but some medications could certainly cause that to occur.  Of course, it could be 'natural' hair loss (genetic) but the sudden onset indicates an external factor which would obviously be your medications.  I would run this by your doctor.  He may be able to substitute a different medication or lower the dose of the culprit causing your hair loss.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:54:28 am »
I have experienced hair loss after antibiotics and after anesthetic for several types of surgeries.  I am not sure if it is from the meds or the stress of the situation.  It always comes back for me.  Hair loss is quite messy and annoying though, isn't it? >:(

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 07:02:38 pm »
I have always had hair loss after anathesia... the longer time I have been out the more
and longer it falls out... but it always grows back :)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

linnilue

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 08:05:47 pm »
I lost alot of hair for about a year after my radiosurgery but it is now growing back, not as thick but I'll take it.  For awhile I bought and wore a small hairpiece to cover the area on the top of my head that looked kind of "empty."   It helped me to feel better about myself because the loss was quite noticable and being paranoid, I figured that everyone was looking at me!!  now there is no need for it.  so to answer your question, yes hair loss does happen.   
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Obita

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 08:27:51 pm »
Hi satman - That happened to me too.  My hair quit falling out after I was off the steroids for a few months.  The hair that did stay on my head was very coarse. Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Mark H

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 08:29:25 pm »
My hair went away a long time ago, before I knew I had the twins AN's). I like it better this way. Haircuts are easy. I just run the clippers over my head 'till my arms are tired. A perfect cut every time, and I don't even need a mirror. And I can't see the sense in covering up such a good looking head with hair anyway. The only little drawback is that with all the bumps (neurofibromatosis) I usually end up sawing through a couple. Barbers used to feel real bad about that, so I started telling them in advance not to worry about it.  ;D
Mark