Author Topic: For the Trekkies out there... Cyberknife mentioned...  (Read 2219 times)

marystro

Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: For the Trekkies out there... Cyberknife mentioned...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:38:52 am »
I'm not a a Trekkie but my son (age: 27) is.  He watched this program when it first aired and enjoyed it, especially the parts with William Shatner.  I watched it with him and enjoyed it, too.  Thanks for the reminder.

Most science-fiction writers/shows get it wrong when 'predicting' the future.  They either go too far - commuting between the earth and the moon, a 50's sci-fi staple, isn't happening anytime soon - or overlook practical inventions looming on the near horizon; Wifi, DSL, HDTV, cell-phones, CyberKnife non-invasive surgery, etc. Of course, the reality is that when we talk about 'sic-fi', we're talking more about about fiction than science.  Which usually means that most 'sci-fi' writers are more interested in a good story with lots of cool, 'futuristic'  gadgets, rather than the more practical aspects of life in the future.  Even so, I still like Star Trek:)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: For the Trekkies out there... Cyberknife mentioned...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 05:53:16 am »
mary, thanks for posting this!  :-*  That is great that CK is mentioned.... great article... out of historic tv shows comes today's technologies..... amazing... truly amazing....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"