Author Topic: Surgery in Three Days  (Read 5023 times)

Jeanlea

Surgery in Three Days
« on: September 03, 2005, 04:42:45 pm »
Hi all,

I want to share how I'm preparing for my surgery which will be September 6th.  Today I joined my sons in a 5K race.  Okay, I walked just over half, but I finished first of all the walkers.  I even ended up winning first place for my age bracket (40-44).  Of the three of us, I was first.   :D  It felt really good to run/walk the race.  I was happy with my results, especially since I've only been walking up until today.  My goal is to come back again this time next year and run the race again. 

My son was asking me how I thought it would be before I get back to walking my 3 miles.  "Five days?" he asked.  He's 12, and must be feeling I will have a very quick recovery.   :D  My goal is to be back to walking in 4-6 weeks.  I like to set my sights high.  lol 

Three more days and I'll have a somewhat better idea of how I'll be doing after surgery.  The not knowing the after-effects of surgery is the hardest part of all of this for me.  I'm prepared for anything, but I just want to know now. 

Just need to finish cleaning my house and I'll be ready to leave for the hospital.  I feel like I'm in the nesting mode like before you have a baby.  Anybody else like that?

Thanks,
Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

luv2teachsped

Re: Surgery in Three Days
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 08:55:27 pm »
Hi Jeanlea:  Yes, it is a lot like the nesting instinct!   I'm sure you'll do fine.  Just remember not to push yourself too much.  After a few weeks I started walking up and down my street.  I hated to go too far, since I live alone, no one would know if I didn't come back. ;D  I found myself actually pushing myself too much about two months after my surgery.  I had been taking it rather easy, pushing myself a little farther every day, and thought I could push a little too much!  Please be kind to yourself.  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

JHager

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:00:54 pm »
Hi Jeanlea!

I just wanted to say good luck!  My own surgery is in the 'insurance approval' stage, and hopefully will be scheduled soon.  Although I'm nervous about the prospect, I'll be much happier once I know exactly when my procedure will be.

We share some common ideas, I think.  Yesterday, I went on a 19 mile hike to the top of Mt. Charleston here in Las Vegas.  I'm also planning on running a sprint triathlon two weekends before what I hope will be my surgery date.  And, I'm already 'stockpiling' some comfort things around the house to easy my recovery.  Funny how we react, huh?

Anyway, good luck.  I hope everything goes smoothly, and that we can all read your recovery story soon!

Josh Hager
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

matti

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 05:42:12 pm »
Jean - I also cleaned and re-organized everything in my house prior to my AN surgery. My husband even said to me, " honey, the last time you acted like this you were just about ready to deliver". 

Don't push yourself, take it easy and let those around you take care and pamper you. I know it is very hard for us moms to take it easy and to be taken care of by those that we take care of everyday and I think that was the hardest part for me during my recovery. Sometimes the mom guilt got the better of me, but all in all my family was so great.

After about a week at home, I started walking with husband short distances in my neighborhood and then each day I progessed further. It felt so good to be back walking again.

Keep us posted and please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 06:53:36 pm »
Hi Luv2teachsped- Hope school is going well for you now that you are back.  I will remember to take it easy.  My sister will be coming to stay with me during the day for awhile while my family is at school at work, so I'll have to take it easy.  :-)

Josh - I just got off the phone with my anestheologist (sp) and he told me that being in good shape is going to help me a lot during the surgery, so keep on exercising.  Good luck with your race.  Hope your insurance comes through soon for you so you can get your date scheduled.  Let me know.

Mattie - My family will be sure to pamper me.  My parents dropped off a load of easy to cook food for my kids.  My husband's mom is also going to cook for them each night.  We also bought them a bunch of food.  I think they will be just fine in the food department!  :-)  I'm leaving them notes on the door for school pictures and a check for their lunch money.  My dad is also going to check on them every night.  I'm so lucky.  I'll write when I get home and let everyone know how I'm doing. 

Thanks for thinking of me.  :-)
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

AngelaRupp

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 08:34:00 pm »
You've been in my thoughts and prayers today!!  Hope everything went well.  Let me know when you're home.  Let the kids clean for a while-ok??  :)
Take care,
Angela
You WILL get through this!!
I did.
Angela Rupp
3cm right side
Removed surgically Feb. 27, 2003
Froedtert Memorial Hospital
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Lost hearing and balance nerves. Facial nerve was stretched.
I have just a slight paralysis now, not noticeable to most people!

Patti

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 06:08:24 am »
I, too, had incredible nesting urges.  I thoroughly cleaned, rearranged furniture, tore apart and reorganized closets and drawers, shopped many stores for the "right" chair for my living room, made detailed lists for the week i would be gone.....good luck to you.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

luv2teachsped

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 08:30:54 pm »
Hi everyone- has anyone heard from Jeanlea or her family?  Just wondered how she is doing?  luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Monica

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 08:30:25 pm »
Hi Jean,
I hope that all went well and that you are doing well. For me, I needed a lot of rest but was on the 4 to 6 week track as you mentioned.  I had to do some balance PT but that was about it. If they had to cut your balance nerve I recommend that you walk carefully on uneven surfaces -such as the lawn.

Look forward to hearing how things went for you.  All the best - Monica

Jeanlea

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 02:29:15 pm »
Hi all,

I'm bsvk home from surgery.  ended up with quite a bit of facail paralyasis.  Feels like mu mouth will be numb forever.  They said I swallow fine.  MY balance and walking are coming along well.  I do get very tired,but it's good to be home again around my family.

I"ll write more later.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

cookiesecond

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 02:41:11 pm »
Hi Jenn,
It is good to hear from you. You will be in our thoughts and prayers as you recover. Keep in touch.
Take care,
Lynn