Author Topic: Cochlear Implant  (Read 2830 times)

janetogden

Cochlear Implant
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:25:40 am »
Hi all,
I have recently been diagnosed with an 1.6 AN.
The kicker is that it is in the same ear as my Cochlear Implant which was installed in 2013 without doing an MRI first.
This creates extra issues with deciding what treatment is suitable & I am wondering if there is anyone else out there in a similar predicament?
Thank you.....

ANSydney

Re: Cochlear Implant
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 01:16:50 am »
Welcome to the forum Janet.

I can't help you, but your situation is interesting. Are you saying that you had hearing deteriorated, presumably due to an AN, and they didn't know. So the treatment was to install a Cochlear Implant?

Personally I don't see a cochlear implant as affecting any treatment modality. It may however become superfluous to have a cochlear implant if hearing is lost.

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:36:00 pm »
Hi and welcome Janet,

I'm curious too,, do you have the Cochlear implant or Cochlear BAHA? Have you asked the Dr who implanted you about how it would affect AN surgery??

I have the BAHA and don't believe 2 of the surgeries could be preformed without removing it,, possibly could do middle fossa. But that's my totally non medical, personal opinion,,,, take it for just that,,,

I'm sure your next Dr visit will clear up many of your questions concerning treatment of your AN,,, good luck to you and please let us know,,,,,,
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Citiview

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 07:20:56 pm »
These are two links to institutions that provide cochlear implants to some people with acoustic neuromas. Perhaps it's worth a call/consultation. They may be a good resource for information.

https://www.dukehealth.org/treatments/ear-nose-and-throat/acoustic-neuroma

http://nyulangone.org/conditions/acoustic-neuroma/treatments/hearing-restoration-for-acoustic-neuroma

janetogden

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:47:46 pm »
Hi again & thank you for you responses & suggestions.
I did post a previous reply but I must have made an error as it doesn't appear.
I have the Cochlear Implant (2013) but no MRI was performed prior to implant....
Currently I am doing the rounds with surgeons & various "experts" to try & find the best path to take.
It seems that whatever I do, the cochlear implant will need to be removed.
The surgeons want to operate which is a common thread. After removal of the CI, the neurosurgeon will remove the AN& then the cochlear surgeon will insert a new CI.
I don't like this option - after not having any success with the first CI, the thought of having to subject myself to another 12 - 24 months of CI Mapping & reprogramming gives me the wilies!
If I elect radiation, the CI will still need removal.
If the CI is not inserted at the time of treatment, the opinion is that the scar tissue will render it impossible to implant later.
Currently, I am thinking the W&W approach suits me just fine as long as the symptoms do not worsen rapidly & the AN does not have a growth spurt.
All support & suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.