Author Topic: Facial Spasm after Cyber Knife  (Read 3164 times)

MG

Facial Spasm after Cyber Knife
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:38:43 am »
 Hello Everyone,

I am five weeks post Cyber Knife and my symptoms were minimal with ear pain and exhaustion. Yesterday my lips tightened up and the left AN side of my face drooped!!  :o  I had been standing in front of my bathroom mirror when it happened so I saw it immediately and freaked out! Luckily it lasted for a few seconds but it scared me. I thought that it takes longer for the tumor to swell. It's only been 5 weeks. Has anyone had this happen so soon? Should I have my doctor give me a script for steroids?

Thank you,
MG

Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

errnkk

Re: Facial Spasm after Cyber Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 08:40:45 am »
I am having hemifacial spasms as well. It happened 6 months post Gamma knife. I took a course of steroids but it did not help. The spasms occur 2-3 times a day. It's been happening for 6 months already. I was wondering if someone also had the spasm and how long did they last. Is it a permanent thing or gets better? Please share

Blw

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 01:40:00 pm »
Not unusual and is part of the post treatment process.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 03:04:39 pm »
MG,

I would certainly place a phone call with your doctor to ask about steroids. It is your health after all.

I was given steroids 10 days after my 4.5 month follow-up MRI , when they received the cd which showed swelling on my MRI.

If I hadn't chosen to have the MRI 1.5 months early, I would obviously have not been put on steroids (as nobody would be the wiser to the swelling).

Interestingly, my tinnitus has improved a little bit with the steroids.
The steroids I was prescribed is only a multi-day pack, with diminishing doses each day which tapers off. It looks very mild to me compared to Decadron.

I was hoping for something stronger, and more long-term.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:08:01 pm by mcrue »
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

MG

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:40:09 am »
I am better today so far and I did get a prescription for a mild form of steroids if needed. I will take them now if the pain flares up again. Glad your tinnitus is better mcrue.

I hope you find some answers errnkk. Hang in there.

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016