Author Topic: Retro sigmoid scheduled for June 10 at keck hospital  (Read 3329 times)

Mollyo

Retro sigmoid scheduled for June 10 at keck hospital
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:43:12 pm »
This is my first time posting although I seem to visit this site daily. Hearing others experiences has really helped me. I discovered my AN by accident as I had an inner ear infection that prompted my Dr. To send me for an MRI.I am 34 years old. My An is on my left side 1.9cm. The only symptom that I am experiencing is a very subtle vertigo sensation occasionally. I have no hearing loss. I have decided to go with surgery and am scheduled for June 10th at Keck hospital USC. Dr Friedman/Gionatta. They are doing the retro sigmoid approach to remove my tumor. I am trying to keep a positive outlook but as the date approaches  I find myself getting very nervous. I would love to hear some post op stories or what to expect the first several days after surgery and how did other an patients feel after this type of surgery.also how long of a recovery and when could they return to work. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
1.9 cm left side
Surgery scheduled at USC dr Friedman/gionatta june 10
Retro sigmoid

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Retro sigmoid scheduled for June 10 at keck hospital
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:28:42 am »
Hi, Mollyo ~

Experiencing some trepidation as your surgery date approaches is about as normal as could be.  I felt the same way.

Your doctors/facility carry excellent reputations within the AN patient community so that should be of some assurance.   

I was diagnosed with a 4.5 cm AN and was experiencing a variety of symptoms; dizziness, loss of the sense of taste, stabbing pain at the tumor site and eventual total loss of hearing in the affected ear, a result of my procrastination in seeking medical help for the symptoms.  Once diagnosed, my neurosurgeon was anxious to operate due to the tumor pressing on my brain stem (he was surprised that I was still able to function at all).  This very experienced neurosurgeon opted for a debulking procedure (peeling off layers of the tumor) followed by radiation (FSR) to destroy the now-vulnerable tumor's ability to re-grow.

The surgery was scheduled for three weeks after my diagnosis and would have been much sooner but for a temporary medical issue that arose during my pre-op tests.  The surgery (Retrosigmoid approach, like yours) took 9 hours and was successful.  Upon awakening from the anesthesia all of my symptoms had disappeared.  I did not suffer any facial nerve damage.  I was very fatigued and mostly slept for the next 24 hours.  I was sitting up, then walking within a few days and was discharged from the hospital 5 days from my admittance.  My recovery began slowly but increased rapidly and within a fortnight I was given my doctor's permission to resume driving.  I walked a lot and eventually resumed my normal activities.

As I recall, the first few days following the surgery are a bit of a blur.  I remember the head bandage being very uncomfortable and asking to have it removed.  My doctor did so, personally, about 3 days after the surgery.  Many AN surgery patients suffer from nausea due to the anesthesia's effects but there is medication to help that and, like all the post-op issues, it is temporary.  I didn't suffer from nausea but my appetite was slow to return (about 3 days).  Once discharged, I felt a bit weak but anxious to resume my normal life.  My first stop with my family after I was discharged was at a restaurant near the hospital where I enjoyed a delicious pancake breakfast.  Just being able to do normal things like that was important to me.  Once at home, I enjoyed sitting in my recliner and watching mindless TV shows (mostly old movies) until I felt stronger and became restless to get outside (it was June).  As a retiree, returning to work was not an issue so I cannot comment on that aspect of recovery.  My FSR sessions were scheduled for 90 days later and they were uneventful but successful.

All this occurred eight years ago (June, 2006).  Subsequent MRI scans over the two years following the surgery indicated the beginnings of tumor necrosis and shrinkage.  My scar healed beautifully and I recovered nicely.  My symptoms never returned.  Today, I'm doing great although I remain deaf in the affected ear (as I was before the surgery) but I cope fairly well with the impediment and have opted to forgo a BAHA or other hearing device, for now.  I'm still fairly active, have responsibilities and enjoy life.

I trust that the account of my AN experience will be helpful but I offer it with the caveat that we're unique individuals and your experience may be different.  However, you have excellent doctors and your odds of having a relatively successful surgery and brisk recovery are very good.  Having support is important and we are here to offer that in whatever way we can.  This message is one way and I hope it is helpful to you.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.