Author Topic: painful tongue on the side of AN  (Read 4784 times)

flier58

painful tongue on the side of AN
« on: September 16, 2006, 07:23:58 pm »
Hi guys,
I was just diagnosed with 2cm AN. Reason for MRI was facial  numbness but for the last 2 days or so my tongue on the side of AN is painful like if burned by hot liquid.  Is it my mind, did my AN had a growth spurt in 10 days, should I panic, did anybody had similar experiece?
Plz let me know.
Thanks
Flier58

Battyp

Re: painful tongue on the side of AN
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 09:02:06 pm »
NO Panicking (sp?)  I have that since my surgery from a 2.8CM tumor and I know there are some on here who had facial numbness things before treatment so I'm sure someone will be along to offer you better advice than I can give.  Rule of thumb is...something new call your doctor!  That's why we pay them :o)  I know for me my an grew faster than the normal 1 to 2 mm a year and you can't predict growth spurts.  So if it was me I'd call my doctor.  Let us know what happens! 

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 09:38:58 pm »
I see my dentist 2 times a year.  I distinctly recall complaining to him about pains under my tongue and soreness in the roof of my mouth (soft palate) in those last visits before my diagnosis.  Each time he found nothing unusual and suggested nothing.  I do believe the pains and sore palate were related to the AN.  At diagnosis I still found no coincidence in the oral problems, not  enough to mention anyway. 

The tumor was well stuck to my facial nerve.  The post op issues with my face are completely cleared now.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:46:27 pm »
Hi

I have facial numbness on my AN side and that side of my tongue has a mildly burned sensation to it.  The inside on the left side of my mouth (the AN side) is also affected by the AN. It isn't real painful for me, but it is constant and annoying, that's for sure. I also have the salty and a little bit metallic taste going on.  My treatment was GK.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 03:11:59 pm »
maybe you bit your tongue when eating and didn''t feel it.  i do that all the time.
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

lmurray69

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 04:59:38 pm »
I had radiation and my complaint was my dentures were ill fitting.. had to reline them evry month . they say that its because of the radiation ...the toung also tingles, and I cant eat eggs they burn my toung
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

targa72e

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:13:26 pm »
I have a numb spot that feels burned on the tip of my tongue on the right side. The facial nerve controls the tip of your tounge. Here is a like that describes what the facial nerves do.

http://rad.usuhs.mil/cranial_nerves/timrad.html

John
5mm x 5mm watching and waiting

mellowrama

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:03:49 pm »
I'm getting ck treatment next week, but since I was diagnosed my symptoms have slightly fluctuated...mostly to do with the numb feeling, tingling and slight burning sensation on the left side of my tongue and face. 
I've also noticed it feels slight scalded on the roof of that side of my mouth at times too. 

I had some of the same concerns with a growth spurt but I just recently got back results from another MRI (4 months) and there is no sign of change...it seems as though the sensation changes on my face don't neccesarily mean its growing.

hope this helps, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

flier58

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 06:30:55 pm »
Hi everybody,
Thanks for your responses.  This is such a learning experience!!!!  I am glad you all created this board.  I think I would go nuts by now if it wasn't for the posters on this board.
Thanks everyone
Flier58