Author Topic: ANA Symposium - Aug 9-11 in Los Angeles  (Read 13714 times)

Barb909

Re: ANA Symposium - Aug 9-11 in Los Angeles
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 10:25:32 am »
Hey all,

Looking forward to meeting up again, this time here on the west coast!! See you soon.

Barb
Feb. 2010    4 x 8 x 5mm
June 2011   4.7 x 8.9 x 4.0mm
May 2012    4.5 x 9.1 x 3.9mm
Sept. 2013   5 x 10.1 x 5mm
Feb. 2015     6 x 13 x 5 mm
In IAC near cochlea
Mild hearing loss, tinnitus
W & W, thinking about treatment

LADavid

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 12:14:49 am »
Hi all -- I'm hoping to se some of you at the symposium.  On Friday, I'm attending Kate Boswell's breakout session since she is one of us and is covering a serious topic on how to cope post-surgery.  On Saturday, Lainie, Nancy, Clarice and her husband, Truman are getting together on the poolside lounge at about 5:00.  Hope you can join us.  David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Cheryl R

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:22 am »
I wish I was coming since have been to the last 5 symposiums but passed this year so could use the finances for other events.       Just get good pictures!   I know all who go will enjoy it.           Turns out our Michigan daughter is coming home the 15th for just a short visit and we are going to take her back to MI via Wisconsin and  stay on Mackinac Island one night before get her back to Lansing the next day.         I know there could be several ANers that now know could also see on the trip but won't be time to go a bit out of the way.         So do get to do a trip this month.
                                                                          Cheryl R     
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 02:22:55 pm »
I have my follow up visit with the radiation oncologist on the 9th - and my finances are pretty stretched thin trying to pay my out of pocket portions for everything...  :(
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 09:50:57 pm »
I am back!  ;D

I have not been on this forum in ages... Life just got busy...

LADavid I see you are still around... Jaylogs you are a moderator now – holy doodle! saralynn143, Cheryl R, chelsmom & 'Pearly Whites'  ;) :-* too.

Last symposium I attended was in Chicago (2009?)

But hey I landed & I'm here …  in LA!! Kid you not…  Looking forward to seeing you- all  - tomorrow

Signed,

"4" aka DaisyHeadMaisy :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 04:30:39 am »
Hope you're all having fun and learning lots!
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

FOOD Re: ANA Symposium - Aug 9-11 in Los Angeles
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 09:21:04 am »
For those of you at the symposium in the hotel who are health & budget conscious + have discovered that Starbucks coffee here, at the in-hotel coffee bar, is $6 & a simple sandwich is between $14 & $21 (gasp! are you kidding us!) and last night's hotel  provided 'supper' was 'pizza & barebones salad'... sigh... And the tap water in your hotel room tastes like recycled pool water.

Please know that next door to the symposium hotel I discovered, yesterday,  a health food grocery store & deli that has a 4 1/2 star rating on YELP (Did not show on iphone app - I had to dig on google to actually find)

Mrs.Winston's Green Grocery
1999 Avenue of the Stars
Ste 132
Los Angeles, CA 90067
(310) 553-4100

Also if you walk over a block on Avenue of the Stars (the avenue the symposium hotel in on) in between Constellation & Santa Monica Blvds there ARE restaurants & coffee shops in that block too.

Food (& portions of) here at the LA hotel is just not comparing to the Chicago Drake Hotel  ( 2009 ANA symposium )  so we need to share info resources.

Yesterday afternoon was long ... with no refreshments provided to attendees (except ice tea & lemonade.)  I think many left early, during the last breakout workshop, simply because they were hungry.

"4"
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »
Was there an announcement about the location of the next symposium?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 05:53:27 pm »
If there was an announcement of where the next symposium is- I did not catch it.

BTW I have say the following night (Sat) we had much better food at the gala banquet than the pizza supper the night before (Fri.).
Also many of us figured out that down on the conference center floor there was free filtered water to refill your water bottles . The conference was excellent - just the hotel was too spendy & and the hotel did not provide refreshments (only tea and lemonade) at the symposium breaks - having us all starving-marving  in between and/or  before meal times. Next symposium I will advice people to pack snack bars.

The snack bar offerings in the hotel room was outrageously  :o priced. Beverly Hills has no doubt THE highest mark-up on retail good/food & restaurants I have experienced ::)  in the USA. If you went to the hotel via cab/shuttle from airport without a rental car the hotel really had you  :-[  captive.  LA is not exactly a "walking" city like Chicago was.

There was no comparison between the Drake Hotel in Chicago & the Century Plaza in LA as far as food goes either. But hey- it was still a GREAT symposium this year. I met many wonderful+ inspiring  people.  :)

Deborah R. Walls's keynote speaker address was EXCELLENT.

DEB YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!! You  ;) rawk- girl!  :D

Something very special about having one of our own talk who 'gets it' - that made her speech SO special.  8) Thanks Deb!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:59:41 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »