Author Topic: Lost hearing left ear post GK  (Read 2016 times)

jfspainter

Lost hearing left ear post GK
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »
Has anyone lost their hearing post GK? My Radiologist/oncologist did not think it would come back in my left ear unfortunately it was my better ear to begin with. I am looking into different options. I have a new hearing aid for my right ear and works nicely but now I am looking into a Tandem aid which would be like a microphone for the left ear to pick up speech coming from the left side and send it to my right aid. Anyone have this set up? My audiologist didn't think a Cochlear implant would work. Any input on this would be great as I am really struggling with all of this. Fortunately I do have experience in lip reading.
Thank you, Jane

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Lost hearing left ear post GK
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:38:52 pm »
I'm SSD on the right side (AN) and my left ear isn't as good as it used to be.

I have the Phonak Cros and Audeo.

The Audeo is the hearing aid for the left ear and the Cros is the receiver/transmitter that brings sound from right side and transmits it to the other side.

http://www.phonak.com/us/b2c/en/products/hearing_instruments/cros/overview.html

There are probably other brands that do the same thing but the website will give you an idea of how it all works and if you have any questions come back to this thread.

I've had mine for almost a year. I have the My Pilot remote control which is very versatile and I can change settings depending on the surrounding circumstances.

It's not great at noise reduction so restaurants and crowded social settings can be a little annoying but I'm not sure that other brands don't have the same issue.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

nftwoed

Re: Lost hearing left ear post GK
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:16:06 pm »
Hi Jane;

My feeling is a Neurotologist might give you a different answer re, a CI. Mine, at Mayo Clinic, says the auditory nerve can be worse than thought to benefit from a CI.
   Did you get a bi cros aid setup then?
   I'm sorry to read of your better side hearing loss ...
   Are you NF-2?