Author Topic: New Member...Translab Surgery in 2 WEEKS!!!  (Read 3926 times)

Dcenters

New Member...Translab Surgery in 2 WEEKS!!!
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:07:56 am »
Hi Everyone!

My name is Darcie and I am 26 years old. I was diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma on Aug. 14th 2012. It was so unreal to me that this is what the ringing in my ear was! My AN is 3 cm.  I am scheduled for surgery on Oct. 24th 2012. 2 Weeks away and I am getting NERVOUS!!!! Nobody in my family really likes to talk about it. I feel like they don't want to upset me. I feel like the are very supportive but they wait for me to bring it up. I just don't know what to expect at all. All of your posts that I have read have been very helpful. I feel like I have done all the research that I can. I guess now I'm just wanting a support group. I'm starting to feel lost because nobody around me knows what I'm going through.... I am getting the BAHA implant at the same time of surgery. Does the tinnitus go away after surgery??? What are some thing's that happen after surgery that were unexpected? How long til I feel normal again?!?

Thanks for any information and support that you can give me!!!

Darcie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New Member...Translab Surgery in 2 WEEKS!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:30:25 pm »
Hi, Darcie ~

I'm sorry to learn you've been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma but glad that you discovered the ANA website/discussion forums and have benefited from them. 

Your nervousness is completly normal and for AN patients like myself, totally understandable.  You're facing major surgery and there are no guarantees that complications won't arise.  The good news is that the vast majority of AN surgery patients, like you, have good outcomes.  Sometimes a few post-op issues will arise but they are usually temporary and/or treatable.  That your family and friends may not grasp what you're going through is all too common. 

To be fair, acoustic neuromas are relatively rare and unless you've received that diagnosis, it's difficult to fully understand the angst involved for the patient (you).  Many times, as with other medical issues, especially cancer (ANs are almost always benign - not cancerous) family and friends simply don't know what to say, so they say nothing at all, seeming to be indifferent but actually just unequipped to deal with the situation in a way you would like.  I suggest you cut them some slack and without belaboring the subject (your AN surgery) try to educate them on what you're facing.   Whether they respond positively or not, know that we're here for you as a virtual support group.   However, if you go to the ANA website home page, you'll see a listing for 'Support Groups' (just under the 3 photos, to the right).  Click on that link to get a state-by-state listing of local support groups.  I'm sure there will be one in your area.  It's certainly worth a look.

To answer your question regarding tinnitus after the surgery: unfortunately, the answer is no.  Tinnitus is generated by the brain, not through the ear and surgery usually does not alter it although it has been know to happen in rare cases - but it's not something to expect. 

As for post-surgery; complications can include a CSF leak (easily repaired), double vision (usually transient), headaches (often temporary but occasionally stubbornly intractable and varying in intensity) and, almost guaranteed, fatigue.  The fatigue will lessen eventually but can be severe the first few weeks, post-op.  Balance problems tend to range from minor to major, depending on the patient and how much of your balance nerve has already been compromised prior to surgery.  In this case, the less effective your balance nerve has been, the better, as the brain re-trains itself to receive only unilateral input and adjusts accordingly.  My balance was poor prior to my AN surgery and with a lot of intense walking post-op, I regained 'serviceable' balance within a few months.  Other post-op issues (stroke, blood clots, etc) are possible but so rare (less than a 1% chance of occurring) as to not be a serious concern.

My 4.5 cm AN was de-bulked in a 9-hour surgery and except for a few days of slight double-vision, I had no real post-op problems.  No headaches or nausea and my balance was good enough to pass a PT nurse's evaluation that allowed me to be discharged 4½ days after my surgery (I was anxious to leave).  My recovery was relatively swift.  I was given doctors permission to resume driving a fortnight after my surgery.  90 days later I underwent (preplanned) FSR treatments (26) to destroy the remaining tumor's DNA.  That was in 2006.  Today, I'm doing great, just as I believe you'll do.  Remember, Darcie, we're here for your support.  Please feel free to ask any question and never forget that as AN patients, we understand because, one way or another, we've all been where you are.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

millie

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:53:37 pm »
Hi Darcy-
Thank goodness you found this forum.  Jim Scott has said it all.
I understand how you feel!  I sometimes feel no one really understands, as well.  I have translab surgery on Wednesday having been diagnosed in Feb  and veer between hopeful and happy to get it over with and anxiety, sadness, anger  and feeling alone.  Not to mention the symptoms!  However we have to hang on and hang in.  I am thinking the probability of good outcomes are in our favor. 
Did you mention where your surgery is?  Mine is at NYU.  Forgive me if you wrote it on your post; I am a little absent-minded lately but I think that is stress.
I am hoping my daughter will post my progress for me until I can; my husband has issues with the computer! Deep breaths.  One day at a time.  Hugs and prayers.  Millie

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:43:39 pm »
Darcie and Millie
Best of luck to you both with your surgeries ,,I am sure you will do well as most of us have,

Millie, I hope your daughter will let us know how you do until you feel up to posting,,just know we will all be thinking of you  with prayers

Darcie, Jim, as usual, has said it all and very eloquently ! It is hard to list all results of surgery as there are many factors involved and each one is different ,,, but for most part expect to feel fatigued for awhile,,although you are quite young and should be able to " bounce back" we'll,,,just try to get up and walk often and leave plenty of napping time!!! The brain will need plenty of down time to heal,,just don't try to rush anything,, patience will be your best friend!

Feeling like" no one understands" is pretty common too,, not many folks understand our situation and so don't know how,to handle it,, so come on here and ask away and hopefully you can find a support group locally, that can be very helpful too,,, good luck, look forward to hearing from you soon Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Dcenters

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »
Thank you for all of the advice!!! My surgery at The Ohio State University. Dr. Dodson is my neurotologist. He is the Director of Neurotology at the Hospital. I feel very comfortable and confident in him. I think I am mainly at peace with the whole process. I just feel like I'm ready for it to be over with and be on the other side!   :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:08:55 pm »
Good luck with your surgery, Darcie.

I can't comment on the tinnitus because I've never had it.

I do have a BAHA though and I think you'll really like yours.  It's made a huge difference in my post-op life.  I had the implant 9 months after my AN surgery and I've never regretted it.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:07:54 pm »
Darcie...How are you doing?  Hang in there....praying for you and all of us.  Millie

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:13:06 pm »
I second Millie's post.  How are you?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.