Author Topic: Muscian's Ear Plugs  (Read 5522 times)

G_Man

Muscian's Ear Plugs
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:19:20 pm »
       I recently purchased a pair of musician's ear plugs because I was getting a headache on my AN side after I had been exposed to live music.  The headache would last for many hours.  I also had concerns about losing hearing in my good ear.  I had heard about these ear plugs at a local ANA meeting.  The ear plugs are custom fitted much like a hearing aid ear piece.  Each plug has a removable filter that can be changed out for a filter of a different strength.  There are filters at 3 different levels 9db, 15db and 25db.  What makes these ear plugs different from the foam type you buy in the stores is that they don't distort the sound but just lower it.  They are not cheap at $250 a set.  You can get just one plug.  I bought a set with the 25db filters.  One set of filters comes with the plugs.  There are caps for the plugs included as well.  The caps lessen the sound more than the filters.  You can not use the caps and the filters at the same time.  I recently got the plugs and attended a blues/rock concert at the Beacon Theatre a few weeks after I got the plugs.  They worked great!  I was sitting in the 5th row and I watched the show feeling totally comfortable, not having any ringing in the ears or headache after the show and most importantly realizing that I will never go to a concert without these plugs again.
Glen
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Muscian's Ear Plugs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:21:18 am »
Glen .....

WOW!  $250 a set!  There must be different qualities of custom-made musicians' ear plugs (or different audiologist's charges).  Since I am SSD, I only needed one but I know I did not pay nearly that much for mine.  My audiologist recommended and fit me for an Etymotic (see:  http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html).  I have the 15db filter and it works very well for me.  I use it not only for concerts and movies, but in the car to block out the road noise.  It allows my brain to concentrate on the sound input from my Ponto so my husband and I can converse more easily in the car.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:06:16 am »
Hi Glen! Thanks for the info...I have used cotton balls for as long as I can remember. They have worked for me allowing just enough  noise to be muffeled and at the same time being able to hear enough to be functional. What you have seems to me to be the professional and better way to handle the problem. I primarily use the cotton when I play raquet ball enclosed when the ball hits the wall like a gunshot. Will look into this great idea. Thanks, Mickey

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:17:17 am »
Etymotic Research, Inc. - Musicians Earplugs High-Fidelity Hearing Protection

G_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:44:19 pm »
Clarice
Your plugs look like they do pretty much the same thing.  Mine are clear.  You can't really see them in the ear.  The website you referenced didn't mention the cost.
Mickey.
I went the high end route because I wanted the clarity to enjoy live music.  It was an extravagance for me because I only go to a few concerts a year.  I wanted to do it right.
Watch and Wait.

G_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 08:57:59 pm »
I should have added the link to the plugs I have in my origional post.  The company is Westone.  They have been in business since 1959.
http://www.westone.com/hearing-protection-products/custom-fit-hearing-protection-products-4
Watch and Wait.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:00:48 am »
Glen .....

Thanks for sending the link.  Not really sure what the difference is between the two brands, because I would think it would be the fitting that would be critical for good sound reduction.

Actually I had a choice of colors too, but I chose a funky blue and green swirl one.  I've never seen anyone looking at it curiously.   ;D

Just grateful to have it!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kraynok2

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:08 pm »
Before my AN surgery, I played handbells at church.  Since my partner rings near my ear and too loud a noise is one of the many possibilities of these tumors forming, I have not  gone back to by position with the handbells.  I have thought of getting the muscians's ear plugs, but just don't know.  As most of you with SSD often worry about the good ear having problems, I worry even if I would get the ear plugs.  Several people have had to quit the group and they are short players.  I've been asked a few times to come back.  But I just worry about losing the good ear and being totally deaf.  A lot to think of.  And by the way Glen, Ed (my husband you met at the conference) says hi and wonders how you've been.  I don't get on hear too often anymore because of too much school work.
Sandy

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 04:01:30 pm »
Sandy ~

I don't have an opinion to offer on the possibility of you obtaining musicians earplugs and/or resuming your bell ringers position at your church but I'm curious to know where you learned that loud noise is a possible cause of developing an acoustic neuroma?  Although many AN patients state that they were regularly exposed to loud noise (usually rock music) at one time (I'm one of those) I've never believed that sound, alone, would trigger the sheathing of the 8th cranial nerve to multiply into a (benign) tumor - but I'm not a doctor and could be mistaken.  One hopes that one day science will discover the actual cause of ANs so speculation can finally cease.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kraynok2

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:22 pm »
Jim,
  Thanks for responding.  I think that when I was researching AN information last year, I read somewhere that among the different possibilities of how the AN formed, loud noises was listed among the other theories.  I might be remembering it wrong.  I just know that it sticks in my mind.  When I get a chance, I will look at some of the many articles and information I saved.  If I find it, I'll let you know.  Being SSD does worry me about too loud noises affecting my good ear.
Sandy

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:52 pm »
Thank you all for your comments on the musicians earplugs.   I first heard about them at the NY meeting and have been meaning to look into this.    So much to look into.   I think it was a good investment because with only one ear left, we have to take very good care of what we have now.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

G_Man

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »
Sandy
    Tell Ed I am well and I hope he is too.  I'm still W+W and I'm hoping to be for a while, following in the steps of my friend Mickey. 
Clarice
    I don't know whether yours or mine are different.  I followed the advice of my audiologist on this.  I don't regret it.  My hearing aid was covered by the medical insurance I had at that time.  I felt really good about getting the musician's ear plugs.  I considered it doing a great kindness to myself.  I have been using foam plugs forever and they never really felt that great or worked that good.  With any luck I won't use these and they will serve me well for many years.
Mei Mei
    It was at that same meeting that I decided to get a pair of these plugs.  If you can afford the ear plug and enjoy going to live music events you should really consider this.  I'm hoping that my plugs continue to work as well as they did in my first experience.  It makes me want to go to another concert just so I can use them again! 

Oh and by the way I just watched the T.L.C. episode of "Behind the Music".  As you all may or may not know, one of the members of T.L.C., T-Boz had a large AN removed about 5 years ago and she's going pretty strong and still performing and recording.
Glen
Watch and Wait.

BeckyMax

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 08:28:04 am »
Oh how I love these boards.  I searched for ear plugs and viola! For the past several months I have been going out almost weekly to see a band that my husband went to school with several of the members.....80's band, great fun.  This aggravates the tinitus and as such I delayed going to the doc thinking that my hearing loss and tinitus were caused by going out so often and a severe cold I got back in OCtober.  Now that i have been diagnosed I am constantly aware of the nice levels around me.  Even dining out is not as enjoyable.  I'm been thinking of getting some ear plugs, will look into both of these. thanks!!
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 09:41:57 am »
Thanks for the info on the ear plugs.  Was at church Thursday and Friday nights and came away with such headaches and fear of more nerve damage.  Last night I actually used the foam ear plugs but it didn't do enough. 

Jim, I have also read that loud noises can be a cause.  I asked the neurotologist about the fact that I had been 2 feet from a lightning strike about 10 years ago if this caused the AN.  He said no, that it might have caused my initial hearing loss but not the AN.  So take that with the research readings for what they're worth.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

G_Man

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 07:43:30 pm »
Becky
I'm glad this helped you.  I've only used my plugs once so far but that experience made me realize that I'll be using them many more times in the future.  Good luck in your experience with them.
Watch and Wait.