Author Topic: I played 18 holes yesterday in a gale force wind!!!  (Read 2902 times)

spgreenfield

I played 18 holes yesterday in a gale force wind!!!
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:21:33 am »
I decided to join a woman's golf league locally to force myself to get out of the house and get some socializing and exercise once a week.  Yesterday was the first day of the league and I played.  I had not played 18 since last year before the AN surgery....had tried 9 this spring with success, but a very dry eye.  I decided better safe than sorry so I used ointment yesterday along with sunglasses that protect from the wind somewhat.  My eye didn't seem terribly dry afterwards and today is ok - not great, but not horribly dry either.  I was tired towards the end of the round, but not completely exhausted.  I did come home and rest though...just in case!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Keri

Re: I played 18 holes yesterday in a gale force wind!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:52:40 am »
Great job! It's encouraging to hear when people get out and try something even where there's obstacles (your eye, etc) and it's tough. You feel so much better when you do it.

Now, regarding golf... that's one sport that drives me crazy! I'm one of those 'drive it 3 feet down the fairway' throw my clubs and say bad words kind of golfers. In fact, it would be a stretch to call myself a golfer! Haven't played in years, which is probably a good thing!

Good for you !
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

spgreenfield

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:40:20 am »
Guess my swing is consistent enough that all I need to do is aim in general direction and go for it.  My short game stunk though...  ;D  The wind was blowing so hard that I stumbled a few times against it...balance issues along with eye issues.... :-\

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:09:13 am »
Hi Pam, 

Exercise can really help in recovery.  I haven't played golf in 3 years, I have a tee time in May, I hope it goes well.  Glad to hear you got out and enjoyed.  Keep at it.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 01:59:36 pm »
Pam ~

Kudos to you for recognizing the need to get some exercise and socialization.  It appears as if you did quite well, considering conditions and the fact that you had to deal with a dry eye situation.  I trust your game will steadily improve and your golfing experience will be beneficial for you.

I don't golf but did play a lot of 'miniature golf' in the months post-op and enjoyed the (summer) weather, mild exercise (walking) and socialization (played with family).  Eventually got bored with 'mini golf' but it served a purpose for awhile, just as your 'real' golf game does.  I wish you continued success on the greens!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.