Author Topic: Hello from lisa I'm recovering  (Read 4055 times)

cinnamon

Hello from lisa I'm recovering
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:09:51 pm »
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your support. I care about you guys. My mom is helping take care of me, but i am doing ggod. I am walking without assistance so i am doing good but i can't type woryth a crap. my pain has been very minimal. i do have some facial paralysis and it is annoying. oh the dry eye thing really gets me the most though. i go see the eye doctor tomorow so i will be sure to get some frree samples. i am hoping to start physical therapy on wednesday. i thought i could hear out of my ear but i don't think i can.  my other ear must really be compensating because until a couple of days ago i couldn't tell.i will write more later this is really difficult to do.

lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Hello from lisa I'm recovering
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:14:27 pm »
Hang in there kiddo!!  The worse part is over, I hope, and you'll be home free soon.  One day at a time and all of that.  Take care of yourself and don't overdo.  As the crew says on here:

{Huggles}

vANcouver Sue
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 02:16:59 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:22:39 pm »
Hi Lisa,  Many of us found typing letters, spelling, and processing word sequences difficult immediately post op.  It takes a whole lot of concentration to do word processing.  Your right and left brain are getting a full workout and at a time when your nerves are stressed.  This will improve.  You will be able to type and spell and think straighter as time goes along.  

Yes, I agree the dry eye was very pesky and hard to accept, but it does improve.  Your Mom needs to know you are doing great.  Remember not to hold in your sneezes, let 'em rip. And blow your nose with your mouth open, very gently.  These difficulties are part of recovering from head surgery.  Write us again.

Best Wishes to you, a courageous young woman.

Obita

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:40:56 pm »
Dear Lisa:

So great to have you back on board.  What you are going through is so normal - baby steps and a day at a time spells AN recovery!! 

The eye thing was the most annoying part of recovery for me too.  My eye doctor was my best friend for the first month and a half.

Hang in there.  I was not a patient person until I was forced to be.  And like Boppie said, don't worry about the pc and typing, it comes back.  I had a real hard time finding the right keys for at least a month.  Typing wore me out.

Good luck with therapy, Kathy

ps:  Don't forget there is a whole lot of swelling in there.  You may be able to hear once the swelling goes down.
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

matti

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:58:07 pm »
Hi Lisa - So happy to hear from you ;D    I've been thinking about you and praying that recovery is going well. I bet Cinnamon was so happy to see you and she probably hasn't left your side since you've been home.

I agree with Kathy, I think the dry eye was the most annoying, but it will get better.  With the facial paralysis, I found it easier and less tiring to eat several smaller meals during the day, rather than 3 regular.

Thank you for the update and call me when you are up to it.

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 04:34:45 pm »
Hi Lisa.  Welcome back! 

I know you'll get better but patience is going to be needed right now.   Easy for me to say.  :) 

That you can communicate with us (type) is a good sign, even if it is a struggle at the moment.   This will all be a memory before you know it.   

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 05:25:12 pm »
Yea!!!!!   Lisa's back!!!!!!!!!   Woo hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dry eye will get better...I'm almost a month out and my lid is finally closing when I tell it to.  That helps....still have to use lots of drops and lacri-lube, but it's better when you can blink on command.  Had my first grocery store outing today with mom, that will be fun when you get there!!  It feels really good to push yourself and accomplish a little something new every day.  Keeps depression at bay.

Congrats girl!!!  Keep it going!!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 07:01:09 pm »
Lisa,

Glad to hear all is progressing as it should.  I can certainly understand what you are saying about the dyslectic typing and especially about your hearing.  I could swear I can hear out of my AN ear sometimes, even though I know its not possible.  My hearing was tested in my non-AN ear and I scored much higher than before the surgery, so I guess you are right, its just working hard to compensate.

Take it slow, do what you are told, and you'll be back at it real soon.....Good Luck to you
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

cinnamon

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 06:27:23 am »
Thanks for all your support!!!! i am happy to be back i just won't check the sight but once a day right now.i go to get evaluated for physical  therapy tomoorow, a whole 3 hrs or so dedicated to fuguring out  a tx plan for me. i am excited because i am so impatient with the paralysis thing.i won't to smile but that is so important i think most because i work in a dental office. i have been a little emotional sorry. just trying to be patient which is hard. my eye has  a little trouble focusing on the sreen too because it is dilated some.i am resting and not overdoing though. yes, cinnamom was so happy to see me.she is such a spoiled dog.my stiches are itching so i can't wait get them out. i really try to be careful about my hair washing too. i know i have alot  to say, feels good to talk to others that know what i am  going through. talk to you later,

lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 01:56:02 pm »
Lisa:

Oh, we sure do know what you are experiencing.  From the fatigue to the itchy stitches, we've all been there.   It does all get better -  and so will you.  Stay connected with us as you are able.  We want progress reports!   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.