Author Topic: Compliment three years post-op  (Read 3045 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Compliment three years post-op
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:51:02 pm »
So, I had concession duty tonight. Not my favorite, but everyone has to take a turn. First game in the state playoffs, and our team was behind until the last 30 seconds, then scored a touchdown to win the game! But I digress.

There were about eight of us working the west concession, and as I was retrieving a slice of pizza for a hungry customer, one of the other ladies stopped me to say, "You know, you are a really beautiful woman."

I was floored. I haven't considered myself pretty in more than three years. I mean, I know there has been slow and steady improvement, but I still see the deficits rather than progress when I look in the mirror.

There are a lot of little lessons here: patience (of course), realizing that we are our own worst critics, looking for the positives, and accepting that our viewpoint may not be accurate after all.

I had one more little lesson in mind, but it's late and I can't think of it anymore. If I do remember, I'll check back in and repost. Until then, I think every one of you is beautiful!

Take care,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

Re: Compliment three years post-op
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:56:02 pm »
Hi Sara,

Thanks so much for sharing this.  There are so many of us that feel just like you do, haven't considered ourselves as looking pretty or handsome since our surgeries.  We don't see what others see and we sometimes react to others thinking they see what we see when they see something completely different.  Yes, we are often our own worst critics. 

I've been blessed with being able to work and connect with my customers.  There are so many I see on a daily or weekly basis and have gotten to know them and they have gotten to know me.  It's comforting to know that they accept me as I am which helps me to be who I am not who I see in the mirror. 

Jill ;D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 12:19:23 pm »
Sara, I know thru my own self that we see ourselves more than others see us.     I just love the pic of you in the pink hat and find it hard to really know which is your affected side.        Hearing others tell you can bring a smile and happiness to us and hope it does for you!
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kim508

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:23 am »
Congrats! Its awsome to feel that way but its deff nice to hear it from someone as well. I am a year and half after surgery and waiting for that day, I am deff tryiing to be patient. Thanks for reminding me that it will come.