Author Topic: Mri's post surgery  (Read 3486 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Mri's post surgery
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:37:59 am »
Hi.  After surgery, how often do the dc recommend mri's?  Mine will be translab if that makes any difference.  Thanks , steph
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Mri's post surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:59:29 am »
Hi Steph .....

Recommended follow-up MRIs seem to vary a great deal from patient to patient and doctor to doctor.  My first surgery was retrosigmoid approach ..... first follow-up MRI was in six months, then each year on the anniversary of surgery was supposed to be for I think five years (did not get that far because I never had a "clear" MRI post-op).  After my second surgery (translab approach) last May, I was told first MRI in one year, if clear then next one in four years, if clear no further needed.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:35:23 am »
Surgical approach makes no difference.

Frequency of MRIs post op depends on the doctor and his/her protocol.

My doc (neurotologist) believes in annual MRIs for the first 5 years.  If they are all clean, he lets his patients change to MRIs every 2-3 years til they hit their 10 year anniversary.  After that, I'm not sure.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 02:37:01 pm »
Hi.  After surgery, how often do the dc recommend mri's?  Mine will be translab if that makes any difference.

The definitive answer to your question is: it varies. :)

I underwent an MRI immediately following my debulking surgery then another 90 days later as I was 'mapped' for FSR treatment.  I had an MRI at 1 year post-op and another six months later.  My next MRI was at 2 years post-op.  It was 'clear', as were all the post-op MRI/FSR scans, and my next will likely be scheduled in 2013.   Obviously, should symptoms re-appear, I would schedule an MRI sooner but so far, so good.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

schmidtkat

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:40:58 pm »
Hi Stephanie,
I'll chime in here too. Just from the posts I've read so far I'd have to agree that the frequency of MRIs post-op varies. The message I was given was to have an MRI done at 1 year post-op. If it is clear, then a repeat at 5 years. If that is clear, I'm a closed book. Whew, how I'm hoping to close that final chapter and put the book on the shelf!
Kathy

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »
Steph:

My Dr's plan was for me to get post-op MRIs the first 2 anniversaries, then another at the 5 year point. A tiny speck of the tumor was left behind because it was too close to the facial nerve. Although she was certain that it would die off, she wanted the follow-ups.

I ended up getting an extra  MRI around my 3rd anniversary, too. My face was acting up & I requested that one. I'm coming up on my 4th anniversary. So far I'm clean. No plans for an MRI this year.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

LakeErie

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:38:10 pm »
Just had a three month surgical follow up Monday, the 16Th. I had a large tumor and the MRI done
the day after surgery showed approximately 90% of the tumor removed. There is residual tumor because the tumor was very adherent to the brainstem and nerves involved. The surgeon told me Monday there is a good chance I will need further treatment for regrowth, but nobody knows for sure, so he wants to wait until Oct 2012 for a one year MRI instead of Gamma Knife now.
My point is that, as others have already stated, the MRI schedule depends on a lot of factors, mainly your surgeon's opinion and experience. My surgeon has over 600 AN's done and said he cannot predict which patients will experience regrowth from residual tumor and which will not. He added, "nobody can."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:40:25 pm by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017