Author Topic: Slightly Smaller?  (Read 3365 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Slightly Smaller?
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:38:36 am »
Morning all!  ...good news...well sort of?? 

I had my annual MRI in July and when I read the MRI, I noted that the tumor looked slightly smaller.  But, I also noticed that there weren't as many slices (images) of the tumor to select from.  So I wasn't sure if the tumor did get smaller...or did it "appear" to get smaller because of the amount of images available for viewing.  So I figured I'd wait to see the doc and ask at follow up.

The doc (and radiologist report) also said the tumor was slightly smaller (by 3-4mm in each direction).  I asked the doc about the amount of slices to view from...and also that I assumed that shrinkage would be accompanied by necrosis.     Doc still feels its slightly smaller.  I asked to be kept on an annual MRI at least another year (verses 2 yr), and he said OK.  BTW...hearing results are the same...no change or loss in hearing in AN ear.

So...first of all I'm thankful to God that it appears smaller (and that the tumor has been stable since 2005)...but I'm cautious to celebrate.  I'm waiting on my follow up results from the University of Virginia as they also read and make recommendations (I'm in their follow up study as a Gamma Knife patient).    If next years study is the same then I'll think about celebrating.

Just filling you all in....thanks for reading.    8)

Gary

Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

lholl36233

Re: Slightly Smaller?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:19:58 am »
Gary,

Thanks for sharing.  Very happy for you!

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:19:17 am »
Any MRI that shows no growth is cause for celebrating.  Congratulations, Gary!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:24:06 pm »
Gary ~

Great news!  I would caution that (according to my radiation oncologist) radiated AN shrinkage and necrosis are not necessarily mutual. I suggest that you celebrate, now. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LisaP

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:33:38 pm »
Hi,

Congrats on the good news.

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:16:59 pm »
Hi Gary,

This is great. I know how you feel. You are almost afraid to be happy sometimes when you are told that the tumor is stable and even more when your told it's smaller. However, try to enjoy the news and don't think about it until your next MRI. You deserve it.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 07:10:12 pm »
Thanks Vivian     :D
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!