Author Topic: Facial Numbness  (Read 3012 times)

JLR

Facial Numbness
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:19:29 am »
Hi..So I still have facial numbness on the right side even though I was on a short dose of steriods. And there is some tingling going on so perhaps its getting better but the most weird things is the feeling that something is crawling on my lower lip and chin..almost feels like a tickling under the skin. At first I thought there was a bug or even a piece of hair on the skin and each time I looked there was nothing there...so I'm guessing this is again some form of reaction of the radiation.  Any thoughts...thanks!

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Re: Facial Numbness
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:02:58 am »
Hi JLR, I feel the same things. The sensations we will get in our otherwise paralyzed faces are really strange. I feel the tickling. I call them butterfly wings because it feels like a fluttering against my cheek. My gums also ache sometimes on the paralyzed side. It almost feels like I'm getting a cavity but then the sensation will go away. None of the sensations are constant. I keep telling myself that it's just the facial nerves making connections again. Maybe I'll get feeling and movement back again someday. I didn't have radiation. My AN was removed through surgery in mid May of this year, so I think these facial sensations are pretty common and nothing to worry about. Even sharp facial pains can be expected. I had a sharp pain that was very brief yet very painful and my neurosurgeon said it was the trigeminal nerve.

Anyway, all good thoughts for your recovery.

Hi..So I still have facial numbness on the right side even though I was on a short dose of steriods. And there is some tingling going on so perhaps its getting better but the most weird things is the feeling that something is crawling on my lower lip and chin..almost feels like a tickling under the skin. At first I thought there was a bug or even a piece of hair on the skin and each time I looked there was nothing there...so I'm guessing this is again some form of reaction of the radiation.  Any thoughts...thanks!
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder