Author Topic: facial massage?  (Read 4314 times)

Karen

facial massage?
« on: July 26, 2006, 07:33:20 pm »
Have any of you with facial paralysis tried facial massages to see if that helps.  I also have numbness.  I was thinking of going to have a facial massage and see how that feels.  Any input?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Boppie

Re: facial massage?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:51:58 pm »
I have used gentle stroking massage on my tumor side since day 1.  It helps, I think.  Once in a while I still have triggers around my nose and forhead.  I massage them out, and apply warm wash cloths.  Ihave had only a few mild headaches since my surgery.

jacobs

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:54:39 pm »

Karen,I don't think it can hurt...One of the nurses in the hospital suggested a small facial massager which I tracked down on a local mall.I have been putting warm compresses on my face pretty regularly and then massaging.My ENT surgeon also reccommended the massaging to help keep the facial muscles healthy.It does seem to help me with the stiffness in my face and I notice a difference if Ii don't do it for a couple of days.
                                                                                                   Jacobs
Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

britbert

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:57:53 pm »
I have been in facial physical therapy, off and on, for the past few years for my facial paralysis and synkinesis. My therapist recommended I buy the pin point massager from Brookstone.  It was about $20 and I ordered it online.  That has helped my face, along with the excercises that she has shown me.  However, I don't have any numbness.  I also massage my own face, putting my thumb inside my cheek and using my fingers on the outside. But I think getting a facial massage from someone else sounds heavenly.  Maybe I should look into that... Best of luck.

Brittany
AN Surgery (left) @ age 28; 1.21.2004
Dr. Shelton & Dr. MacDonald
University of Utah Hospital

tony

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 11:53:16 pm »
There is a small "independant" clinic in the UK that
reccommends small electric shocks
for the facial nerves
(NOT 110v 60hz - but 3-6 volt DC) to help stimulate the damaged nerves
bit like the machine women have to help pain
during childbirth (Tens machine ?)
(Do NOT wire yourself up to the microwave
- it WILL HURT !)
Best Regards
Tony

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 12:20:51 am »
Anybody familiar with the strengths of a Tens Unit?  Isn't this a low voltage stimulator?  Is my idea nuts?  If it is, just shoot me .  Don't want faces damaged further.

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 07:07:17 am »
I was given a tens unit after my facial surgery.  It's actually my second unit as I burnt up the first one  LOL  It's got varying degrees of voltage and does help to stimulate the facial nerve but you have to use it sparingly as not to cause skynesis (how do you spell that word?).  I used it more in the beginning than of late.  I have facial numbness not paralysis.  They are also great for pain management if you are suffering from headaches etc...If you're insurance company doesn't pay for it they should make a deal to give it to you for about 50.00

themis1982

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 09:55:26 am »
My Dr. says to NEVER undergo shock therapy. He said it feels like it is stimulating the muscle, but it actually makes it worse.
I am going to facial physical therapy, and my therapist has me feel for sore spots by putting a finger in my mouth and pinching that spot with one finger inside my mouth and one outside. When I find a tender spot I squeeze it until some of the tension is released, then I massage it using a circular motion. My therapist said that when the nerves are coming back, the mucsles tend to be really tight and this further restricts movement. That massager that was mentioned is a good idea too, I think I'll try that.