Author Topic: Weird Taste  (Read 3774 times)

hendi51

Weird Taste
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:50:59 pm »
Ever since Lynn's surgery he has complained everything is too sweet and he has this weird taste in his mouth. I know I have read where some of you do have weird taste and wondered if it gets better, goes away or if you just learn to live with it? Thanks in advance for any info.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

cindyj

Re: Weird Taste
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:27 pm »
Yes, odd taste post surgery is very normal and it should get better...mine definitely did, though it took a number of weeks.   I do seem to have an even greater fondness of bacon and ham and very spicy food since surgery, though, and I'm two plus years out.  But, the strange, odd and sometimes bad taste which was there initially has gone away.

Best to Lynn!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:56 am »
I did not experience weird tastes, but instead I could not taste sugars...13 months later I still can't. Hopefully his experience wil be very brief.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

moe

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:10 am »
I experienced a bitter taste, on and off, at the back my tongue on the affected side. Lasted about a year, but not enough of a nuisance to squelch my appetite ;D
So yes, it should get better!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 07:46:17 am »
My weird taste went away within a few months of my surgery.

Mostly you just have to let it run it's course.

Some suggested that I take zinc, but I don't know if that really works or not. 

I took it and my metallic mouth went away, but it might have gone away without the zinc.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:32:32 pm »
I woke up from surgery with the weird taste.  My doctor suggested zinc, but it didn't help me.  I had some dental work done and my dentist said to stay away from sugar.  I've found he's right.  The more sugar I eat, the worse the taste is.  I've also found I really don't like sweets anymore.  I look at the candy bars in the checkout aisle and they don't even appeal to me.  The same with donuts and ice cream which is even more strange as I used to be addicted to ice cream.  I do like salty foods which isn't good healthwise.  I have to be careful as my blood pressure goes up or I retain fluids...fingers swell, etc.  I'm a year out from surgery and the taste is still there.  My facial nerve is starting to come back.  I'm hoping once it's completely back, the taste will go away.  It ruins the flavor of so many foods that I used to enjoy eating.

Pat
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

JAndrews

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:42:46 pm »
I had a taste of burned biscuit (the only way I can describe it) on and off for about a year post-op..now its completely gone. Dr. Brackmann said it was normal and it would go away..He was right and always has been:)
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:30:13 pm »
My surgery was almost two years ago, I had the metallic taste first, it went away but now I have a salty taste.  The one thing that I don't think other have so much in common is that I have excessive saliva, if I sleep on the side of the surgery I drool, if I sleep on the other side my mouth gets really dry at night.  But, really, after this kind of surgery there're worse things to deal than this.

:)

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 06:40:07 am »
7 months and still can't taste sugar.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?