Author Topic: Small world story  (Read 1939 times)

Sam Rush

Small world story
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:54:53 am »
Last Sat. My wife and I went on a strenuous hike in the Sierra foothills in California, sponsored by the Sierra Foothill Conservancy. The docent leading the hike was a woman my age (67) with an obvious facial paralysis. Being polite, I didn't say anything, but as we talked, she mentioned she was deaf on that side. Well, my curiosity overcame my politeness and I asked her if she had had an acoustic neuroma.   She seemed surprised that I knew what that was and mentioned she had a large AN treated by surgery in 1973 by a young Dr. at House Clinic in LA.  That Dr's name was Derald Brackmann, the same Dr. I had for my surgery 34 years later in 2004!!!   What a small world!!  Anyway, she was in outstanding shape, and we could barely keep up with her. BTW, she had never heard of a BAHA, but will now look into it.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Small world story
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:34:49 pm »
Sam ~

What are the odds?  Thanks for posting the account of meeting another AN patient who had the same doctor that operated on your AN 34 years after he performed her AN surgery.  I think you might have been the more fortunate patient because you benefited from Dr. Brackmann's 30+ decades of surgical experience removing acoustic neuromas.   I hope you enjoyed the hike.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:08:23 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »
What a neat small world story!  I had barely heard of an acoustic neuroma before mine was diagnosed.  All of a sudden I was hearing from friends and family "Did you know ______ had an acoustic neuroma?"  It seems to bring an immediate "kinship" with these new friends.

So glad you are spreading the word about BAHAs.  During a regular appointment with my PCP today, I enlightened her about them ...... just doin' my part.   ;D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:33:53 pm »
Amazing story, Dr. Sam.

As you say, small world  ;D

Nice of you to tell her about the BAHA, too.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways