Author Topic: Big Day, Small World!  (Read 3273 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Big Day, Small World!
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:37:46 am »
Didn't know where to post this little story, so here's a new thread! Well, Capt Deb had a BIG Day yesterday.  Went to an art supply trade show held in Boone every year (where I live) BY MYSELF!!  In a small arena with high ceilings, a gajillion people, major background noise (live band) OY!! Got art supplies  because I'm not counting on my disability coming through and this is plan B.  Anyway there was this girl who looked a lot like me, petite, short hair, and she had a T-shirt on that said "art slut."  Well, that's a conversation piece right there.  Started talking about oil paint mediums and such and I invited her to come out to the gallery where I show, which was having an opening that afternoon for another artist.
Well, I got thru with my shopping without a major meltdown (another OY!) and headed home to rest up for the opening which was at 3:00. Got to the gallery opening and about an hour later art slut shows up with her 2 friends.  After chowing on the hors d'oervre table, they wanted a tour to see my art and I took them around the gallery (another big crowd, another OY!) As we were going upstairs and I was hanging on to the handrail with both hands and going really slow, I said that I was a little "gimpy" today from some health problems and art slut asked what kind of health problems and I said I had had a tumor on my balance nerve and she said "You didn't have an acoustic neuroma, did you?" I said "wow, that's exactly what I had! How do you know about acoustic neuromas?" She said her father had surgery for one a few years ago.  She also said she coudln't believe I was functioning as well as I was--going to the tradeshow by myself, still painting, etc. Her father didn't fare so well, his was a bit larger and he's a bit older and has had a rough time esp since the hearing in his good ear is only about 30%. He had had SSHL for 15 years. Anyhow we exchanged email and promised to keep in touch. Small world, ainnit!

I wish we could get on the Today Show or Oprah or something and raise public consciousness about these things and make people aware that they need to see a doc if they are having single-sided hearing loss!

Anyway, that's my story and........................(see below)

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Big Day, Small World!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 12:15:55 pm »
Loved your story, Deb.  Really happy you got out and about without major problems. Yes, it's a small world. I went and had a facial the other day. It was a birthday present from my son and his wife that I'd gotten the first of March and I waited until after GK and pin site healing to take advantage of my gift certificate.  Anyway, I had to tell them a little about health problems and this came up and the gal doing my facial had a friend who had AN surgery up at OHSU (our big, gigantic, hospital on the hill) a few months ago. Said this friend was doing okay, and back to work. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

nipanddale

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 09:23:44 pm »
Hi Cap Deb,

I'm starting to think this thing isn't so rare.

Maybe we should send an email to Oprah?

nip
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 07:18:22 am »
The whole audience of the Oprah show would have to be us AN survivors!         It should be required watching for every ENT in the country who don't think we need MRI's right off.
I have a friend who said I should  have wrote something for Good Housekeeping after my first surgery.                 I have seen mention of AN in health articles about vertigo and hearing loss some time ago in Family Circle or Womans Day and Ladies Home Journal.
                                            Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 07:18:44 am »
I personally don't think AN is as rare as the doctor's say, I think it was just not found as aften due to lack of diagnostic tools that we now have. I have long wondered what the occurance is when they include those not known about in a living person that are found once they pass away and an autopsy is done and then add that to those found in the living and then tell us what the occurance rate is.
It certainly is a small world though and maybe it's something "cosmic" that bring us  together in the world.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

matti

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:24:27 am »
I am not sure AN's are as rare as I thought. Just in the last few months alone, I have met 7 people while out shopping, at social functions, etc... that either have/had AN's or know someone that does.  Last week I was grocery shopping and I noticed the deli guy had sort of a crooked smile like mine. Turns out he had AN surgery 2 years ago.

Capt. Deb - I am glad yesterday went so well, events like that I find overwhelming, You did good Capt.!! :-*

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 12:00:08 pm »
It's kind of like the Celestine Prophecy...it all winds around and connects somehow. I also thought there should be an Oprah show...a magazine article...that I would write it and be FAMOUS!!   Ah, no...that this isn't as "rare" as I thought either...Although we think we are "special", maybe we aren't all that special!!  :D  Can I be on Oprah and meet her?? I wanna go too!! 
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

matti

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 02:46:20 pm »
Oprah sounds good, be nice to get the word out on AN's and at the same time be on her "Favorite things" show.  I think we all deserve it ;D
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 12:23:48 am »
I'm all for that!!  Wouldn't that be cool?  Then, poor Oprah would become inundated with every kind of special interest group out there for every kind of medical problem!!  She'd be running for cover. 
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode