Author Topic: Driving  (Read 2989 times)

ReneeK

Driving
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:34:27 am »
I had translab surgery on  12/6/10 and was wondering when I should attempt to try and drive? Any suggestions? I'm feeling pretty good and of course I don't want to push it, I am off work until mid January, but want to start with baby steps :)

Thanks,

Renee

Mark241

Re: Driving
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:46:05 am »
Hi Renee, hope your recovery is going well! No you don't wanta push it at all. I suggest being the passenger for a bit, and see how ya feel, kinda like when you were in driving school, making the same motions as you would as the driver, sounds' dumb I know, but thats' what I did, and it can give you at least the same motor skills. Then short trips, say down the road, or in a large parking lot where you can "Practice". Of course dont' drive if your taking narcs or any other script that has driving warnings, which can be construed as DUI. Best of luck in your recovery, Happy Holidays.   
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

ReneeK

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:08:18 am »
Thanks! I have been the passenger a few times and it has gone ok :) I appreciate the advice.

Renee

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:07:09 pm »
Ditto to what Mark241 says ..... adding to make sure you can turn your head back and forth without losing your bearings, i.e. checking lanes behind or intersections.

I found I could drive easier than I could walk ..... something about me staying still but the car could be moving.  I still am very careful not to drive when I am extremely tired and/or stressed.

The main thing is gaze stabilization.  If you are still having trouble holding on to your vision gaze (things jump around while looking at an object), wait on the driving.

Try it in a safe place (e.g., an empty large parking lot) first, then residential area, moving on up ...... multi-lanes last.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:15:18 pm »
My doctor had me wait 3 weeks before I could drive.  I even found it a problem to be a passanger for the first week.  nNt being able to really focus while moving almost made me car sick.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:41:54 pm »
Renee ~

As the previous posts indicate, for post-op AN patients the ability and decision to resume driving is, at best, situational.  I was 'sneaking' a few brief drives within 10 days of my hospital discharge, mostly for convenience.  On my two-week follow-up visit, I asked my neurosurgeon if I could resume driving and he agreed, but said to stay on back roads for awhile.  Since I had already driven on back roads, I considered the caution to have been honored beforehand and I was soon driving on the interstate, with no real problem.  Head-checks for lane changes were a tad disconcerting at first but I pushed through and the discomfort soon disappeared.  I had no trouble focusing and my doctor only asked me once about 'the driving'.  I said, in all honesty, that it was going fine and my wife chimed in with the observation that I was driving 'all over'.  The doctor just chuckled and said "don't overdo it" .  That was the last discussion we had about driving - four years ago.

I have to caution that I had a rapid recovery and that we're individuals and heal/recover differently so my experience may have little relation to yours.  I simply offer it as an encouragement - not a template and, of course, I hope you'll be able to resume driving soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 04:55:01 pm »
Hello and congratulations for your surgery.  I wish you rapid healing.   Remember, baby steps are really important, but my surgeon OKd me to drive again at the two week point and I agree that this was a good time to get back to the driving routine.   Just don't lift anything over 5 lbs for a while and take daily naps in the afternoon.   Rest is so important to your recovery!
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 05:54:59 pm »
I often hesitate to respond to questions like this because my experience was so different. Not bad, just different. I first tried driving about 7 weeks out and it did not last very long because I did not have sufficient control, balance, etc. Admittedly, it was night time, after a long day of travel, and a my big heavy truck, and I had double-vision, but apart from those things, I was not ready.

However, within a couple of weeks of that, I was driving my wife's Escape comfortably back and forth to my therapy appointments.

All this is to simply echo what everyone else has said, "Take your time, be patient." This is especially true since when one is driving, one is generally putting other lives at risk, not just your own.

The body heals on its own timetable...try to be patient,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

ReneeK

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 08:59:17 am »
Thank You All!!!

I appreciate all the helpful information :) The last week has been tough, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Renee