Author Topic: Do you know......  (Read 1827 times)

Jwh

Do you know......
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »
if you need an MRI specific to the IAC with contrast to find an AN?  Can you have a brain MRI with contrast and an AN be overlooked?  I'm asking for a friend who has had problems with her ear.  I've already had two AN's removed via surgery but don't know if a brain MRI with contrast would pick one up.

Thanks!
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Do you know......
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:15:18 pm »
An MRI of the brain with contrast should show an AN, unless it is very, very tiny still.  MRIs can be done with different sizes of slices, but I would think if an AN is suspected, it would be done with small enough slices to catch even a small AN.

My 2.0 cm AN showed up like a lightbulb ..... no missing one that size or larger.  But a 1 or 2 mm one would be much more difficult to see by an untrained eye.

Did your friend have an MRI and nothing was found?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:38:43 pm »
When mine was found it was between 3-5 mm, so an MRI with contrast should show it if it is there.

TJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:45:06 pm »
I'm not really sure.  All my MRIs - both my diagnostic one and the subsequent ones done post op - have been of the IAC.

They were all done with gadolinium contrast.  In addition, the post op MRIs were done with fat suppression - since I have fat in my head from a fat graph during my AN surgery.

If it were my friend, I'd recommend she consult with a neurotologist and ask him/her this question.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways