Author Topic: Disequilibrium vs poorer coordination  (Read 2132 times)

kkl

Disequilibrium vs poorer coordination
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:13 am »
Dear all,

7 weeks post surgery, I am still experiencing the following ---

Disequilibrium --- I never experienced vertigo, and have been walking bit by bit since a couple of weeks back.  However, I do feel imbalance and do feel a bit imbalance when on uneven surface or steps or when I look quickly from one thing to another.  Thanks to some of forumers tips, I plan to do some VT exercise at home and hope it will improve.

Poor coordination -- As mentioned in another post, I think my left leg and arms are weaker.  So I think this has somewhat affected my walking, too.  I stagger when starting to walk but gradually it will improve.  Today, after window-shopping and walking for more than 2 hours, I feel that my walk is very unnatural and clumsy.   Has anyone have the same experience?  Any tips? Did I push too much?

Lots of you have mentioned about walking and walking...Am just not sure if I'm doing enough or too little. (BTW, from where I currently am, we don't have big wide open spaces for nice strolls.  We only have sidewalks and department stores.  So that is the walking exercise, I do).

Any comments/insights will be appreciated.

Konnie

cin605

Re: Disequilibrium vs poorer coordination
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:46:12 am »
I found it easier to walk on the side walk...opens spoces were not my friend....i tended to cling to the wall..walking anyw where is good...you will know when you have had enuff....your head will start to throb and your balance will be really bad.
You are early ou...do not push to hard...give your self some healing time.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

kkl

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:20:43 am »
Back on the same topic on poorer coordination...Am 2.5 months post op.  Am back to my country of residence.  I think my walking is still not very well coordinated and a bit clumsy.  And if I stand/walk too much, like the day of arrival, I hardly sat from 3 pm to 9 pm.  So my left leg is so not easy to maneuver at the end of the day.  Is this normal?  My left arm is still more clumsy, too. 

Does anyone have the same experience? And when did it get better?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:31:44 pm »
Konnie -

what you are experiencing is VERY normal @ 7 weeks post op.

Things should improve as time goes on.

Patience,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways