Author Topic: Hello, I am new and have a question for anyone with a Facial Neuroma...  (Read 8709 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Yes LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION is very crucial when dealing with a facial neuroma.  I am not a candidate for an type of radiation because of the location.  I had several opinions.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Sue ~

I don't have a medical degree so I won't attempt to arbitrate between what licensed physicians state regarding the use of radiation on a patient with a facial neuroma.  However, I gathered from Jess's post that he was clearly making a statement specific to "someone with a small tumor completely within the internal auditory canal, with the tumor surrounding the nerve".

As you commented in your last post, according to Dr. Kartush's Fellow, the location of the tumor is paramount when deciding on radiation as a treatment.  I'll have to assume that Carol Ann has a tumor that is amenable to radiation based on it's location.  However, the final decision is hers and of course, the advice she received from Dr. Kartush, an experienced doctor who is familiar with her case, has to be taken as completely credible as well as being directly relevant to Carol Ann's tumor.  Jesse was just offering a general opinion, not trying to direct anyone's specific treatment.  I'm sure Jesse would agree that Carol Ann needn't fret about this apparent dichotomy of opinion between doctors and to trust the opinion that comes from the doctor working directly with her.  That's my take. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sues1953

Thank you Jim.  I do understand that location is important and each case is different.  I believe you are right about Jesse's comment on a small tumor within the bony canal.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.