Author Topic: Seeing Jackie Diels in July - Hotel Recommendations?  (Read 3221 times)

margen

Seeing Jackie Diels in July - Hotel Recommendations?
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:51:15 am »
I have an appointment to see Jackie Diels this summer.  Can anybody recommend a hotel for my stay in Madison?  I'm travelling alone, so I'd like to stay somewhere safe and still be able to shop, dine, take walks, etc.

Thanks!

Cheryl R

Re: Seeing Jackie Diels in July - Hotel Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:27 am »
Jackie is toward the west side.      There are hotels toward the West towne Mall which is a bit west more from her plus several off the Beltline a bit west of there even.         I visited her once and they sent info on them and also give you  a hospital rate.   Debbi can give you info if she got that info when she was there in Feb.      We had a daughter live in Madison and go to grad school so have been there a fair amount.     The beltline is not bad to drive on or there is a street north of the street that Jackie is off of that goes out that way also.        Jackie is on a sidestreet  off Whitney Way and the north street is Mineral Point rd which does connect with the beltline too if keep going west out by Target.                 The airport is on the east side and downtown Madison is tricky with the streets and the lake nearby.                  I really miss Madison.                    They have a super super farmers market on Sat but is downtown around the capital and so rather tricky to get to.                   The downtown area has the best restaurants but is a busy area.        Nothing real exciting that I remember for restaurants out west.       Debbi can be of some help too.                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:30:58 am »
Hi Margen-

Glad to hear you are going to see Jackie and hope that your visit with her is as successful as mine was! 

My hubby and I stayed at the Belmont Inn on Excelsior Drive.  It's about a 10 minute drive to Jackie's office from there.  We stayed there simply because we were able to get the best rate.  Cheryl is right - UW will provide a list of hotels and discounts.  You can call 608/263-0315 for this info.  I think the person you will speak with is Shawn.  I am sure that there are hotel choices closer to Jackie's office, but Baymont was pretty convenient - also a very short drive to some good restaurants.  We arrived on Valentine's Day (I know- who goes to Madison in the middle of February??? ;)) and at Jackie's recommendation, ate at Biaggi's which was excellent. 

As far as safety, the whole area around there looked safe to me - I didn't see anything that would make me nervous if I were alone. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  And, GOOD LUCK!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Karen

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:19:31 pm »
Hi we were in Wisconsin last month to see Jackie.  Shaawn  can help with a discount rate for patients.  We stayed at a new hotel about 5 or 10 min. from Jackie on the west sidde.  There is also an excellant fish place to eat right near Jackie's office.  Also and Appleebee's is good.  I have been there about 4 or 5 times to see Jackie.  I can't say enought good things about her.  Good Luck.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

margen

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:32:53 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

Karen - What was the name of the new hotel you stayed in?

Karen

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:51:13 pm »
We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Commerce Drive at $70.00 a night.  It HAD A GOOD FREE BREAKFAST AND WAS VERY NICE AND NEW.  wE MADE THE RESERVATIONS THROUGH  the hospital.  Let me know if you need the number.  It was about 10 min. from her office.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear