Author Topic: Sonitus Hearing Device  (Read 4763 times)

msswartz

Sonitus Hearing Device
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:41:02 pm »
Hello all,

I have Kaiser Nor Cal and I've been approved for a BAHA but it has been about a month and they haven't called yet.

Meanwhile, I put my name in to Sonitus Medical to be contacted next time they did a trial study for their hearing device.   They contacted me today and invited me to participate.  So I responded and am set up on May 6th to go in for exams prelim to the study, and then get fitted for a device.

Here is the info on it.

THE SONITUS DEVICE
Intended Use
The intended use of the Sonitus device is to reduce hearing difficulties in individuals with a hearing loss in one ear (single sided deafness) using bone conduction.

Components
The Sonitus device consists of two parts: a custom made easily removable, invisible oral appliance that is worn on the upper molars and a microphone component that sits behind the poorer ear. Adjustments can be made to both components to ensure a proper and comfortable fit. The oral appliance and behind the ear microphone component are both rechargeable.

How the Device Works
The Sonitus device is non-invasive, non-surgical, easily applied by the user and removable when not in use. The device works by capturing sounds with a small external microphone attached to the component worn behind the subject’s poorer ear and then wirelessly transmitting the sounds to the oral appliance. The oral appliance then amplifies and applies the sound as an imperceptible vibration to the tooth which then travels to the opposite better hearing ear by a well known principle called bone conduction. Nothing is worn on the better hearing ear and sounds originating from the side with poorer hearing are heard via this system. When in use, the Sonitus system is intended to restore hearing to patients with single sided deafness without surgery.

Sonitus Medical
1825 S. Grant Street, Suite 350
San Mateo, CA 94402
650-353-3971 Office (direct)
650-375-2253 Fax
www.sonitusmedical.com

The website shows how the device works and it should be interesting.  I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

Michael

Michael Swartz
"May the 'Swartz' be with you always"

Mei Mei

Re: Sonitus Hearing Device
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:02:33 pm »
Thanks, Michael.   I am anxiously awaiting for them to hit the market.   I live on the East Coast so cannot participat in the trials.  You are lucky to be able to get access sooner.   Did you see the link I posted that Sonitus got a prize for number 1 in 2010  from Cleveland Clinic?   Good luck with your trial!

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:58:56 pm »
I have Kaiser Nor Cal and I've been approved for a BAHA but it has been about a month and they haven't called yet.

Michael -

I'm confused.  Who are you waiting to receive a call from?

If your BAHA has been approved by your insurance company, shouldn't you just call your doc's office and schedule your surgery?

That's how it worked with my doc.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:24:56 am »
It sounds like Michael is taking advantage of living in the Bay Area where he has the wonderful opportunity of trialing the newest technology.   It is due to be approved by the FDA at the end of the year.   Michael is looking at ALL his options and trying to form an opinion of all the bone conduction devices.

Good luck with the trial, Michael!!!

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:51:17 am »

am set up on May 6th to go in for exams prelim to the study, and then get fitted for a device

Good for you Michael!  Carolyn and I are in the trial for the SoundBite as well, and we are posting our experiences in the following thread:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10753.new;topicseen#new

It would be very helpful a third opinion (yours) about how the new device works. So, I invite you to share your experience and all related to the SoundBite in the above thread. It is just my suggestion in order to keep all the information together. I received my Soundbite yesterday! and I will be posting soon.

Have a great day,
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

msswartz

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:47:22 pm »
Hi,

I am not sure why kaiser has not contacted me since the audiologist sent the referral to the surgeon who can implant the BAHA buttress.   But since I've been approved to be examined for eligability for the soundbite I figure I will have two options.  The soundbite isn't a surgical thing so I can always switch.

Meanwhile.. I am just waiting.  I have my prelimary Soundbite exam on 5/6 when they will have their technician and dentist look at me and then if finally approved I guess I will get fitted and oriented on it. 

I'll be sure to post any new info as things progress.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it.  Having only one audio input is quite disorienting and confusing sometimes.  I am hopeful that additional audio input through either a Soundbite or a BAHA will help discern sounds and give me some spacial awareness. 

As many of you know, it just feels like I am missing so much and that I am just lost sometimes.

Michael

Michael Swartz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 03:50:41 pm »
Michael -

I'm pro-BAHA, so IMO you should take the bull by the horns and contact Kaiser to see what the hold-up is.

I was missing a lot and feeling very depressed until I got my BAHA.

BTW, the BAHA "buttress" is called an abutment  :)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

rupert

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:30:39 pm »

Yeah  Jan,    I'd hate to go around  with a " butt "  in my head.   

Seriously though Michael ,   I hope you get this all straightend out.

Bryan

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:17:02 pm »
I would not wait any longer for the BAHA surgery.  I would go ahead and contact Kaiser and find out what's the hold up.  I'm not too sure about that other thing that they put on your tooth.  I'll pass on that one and keep my BAHA.  ::)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 07:49:30 pm »
I'm not too sure about that other thing that they put on your tooth.  I'll pass on that one and keep my BAHA.  ::)

I'm with you, Ken.

But some aren't too sure about that thing they implant in your skull  ;D

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:45:41 am »
Congratulations, Michael.
I'm on the east coast, too, and very jealous of your trial opportunity.  Keep us updated on your success.  I can't wait to try one on as soon as it is available on this side of the land.  Life would be much improved.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:39 am »
Dear Michael,
I'm holding out too, in order to have my options open to me.   I want to go non-surgical.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

heyct

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:14 am »
Good luck Michael! I look forward to hearing your feedback....no pun intended. I'm jealous because it looks like you might have the new updated device by then!

As for Kaiser, they are just plain slow. It took me 6 months to get in for ACL surgery!

Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

msswartz

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 10:32:08 am »
Hi all,

Just a few more days until the Soundbite appt.  I'm going to bring my camera and see if they will be willing to take pictures of what ever they do to or for me.

As for Kaiser, I have to say, I don't know why they have not contacted me yet.  I have had Kaiser most of my life.  My father had me under his policy when I was a child and I now have my family covered by them.   They sometimes have to be encouraged to pay attention to you, but over all, I have been treated very well.  And with very few exceptions, they have been nice people too.  They took very good care of my wife through both of her pregnancies and when she had trouble with her heart, they were great.  And they did a cathoder oblation on her heart and did really great follow up.  I have been pretty happy with them over all.

Michael

Michael Swartz