Author Topic: 8 month post-op MRI  (Read 3158 times)

Lyssa

8 month post-op MRI
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:51:59 am »
So I just met with my surgeon yesterday to go over the results of my 8 month post-op MRI. This was the soonest I could get one, instead of the usual 6 month MRI.

So he says overall he feels good, but there is something that he isn't sure if it is scar tissue or tumor :( He says they were pretty sure they got it all out during surgery last Feb. This is a little unnerving b/c I don't want to go through any of this again. I'm just starting to get some facial movement back and feeling like normal again.

He basically told me we will do another MRI in 1 year and see what it says. I would say I feel pretty positive and feel like I'm "in the clear" for another year at least :D

He told me when my face is at at rest I look "almost normal"!  Yaaayyy, leave it to a brain surgeon to be honest about how I look  ::) I know he meant it in a purely medical way, but still I like to think I look better than "almost normal" hehehe, not to mention the resident ENT in the room w/ us was very good looking LOL!
26 yrs old.
Diagnosed Oct. 2008 with 2cm right-sided AN
Translab surgery Feb. 9/09 at Sunnybrook in Toronto
SSD & right-sided facial paralysis, nerve still intact and fingers crossed :D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 8 month post-op MRI
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:19:40 pm »
Lyssa ~

Congratulations on a pretty positive 8-month MRI scan and follow-up doctor consult.  I would agree with you that you can look forward to 'a year in the clear'. 

I'm sure you look just fine because neurosurgeons are known for being fairly blunt.  Well, mine was; after observing the almost 5 cm AN on my MRI, he looked me in the eye and said "this thing can kill you".  He wasn't smiling.  Fortunately, he turned out to be fabulous surgeon with great skills and I had an excellent recovery.  I'm sure you'll continue to improve as your recovery continues, which it does, I can assure you. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keeping Up

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:16:58 pm »
Congratulations Lyssa

Your update is very positive despite the surgeon's comments.  Also happy to hear another happy CAnadian report (alright, I track us all closely!) after MK's GK report.  [I am a Toronto girl but am at Toronto General and not Sunnybrook.]

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Lyssa

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:43:55 am »
Yaaay Ontario! I'm actually back living in my hometown of Ottawa now. I moved back after the surgery as we didn't have anything really keeping us in Toronto any longer. I just drive back for follow-up appts. now. 

Every time I go back to the hospital I realize how lucky we are to live in a place where there is no question of how we will pay for our treatment.
26 yrs old.

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:51:02 pm »
Hi Lyssa,

Who did your surgery at Sunnybrook? I am actually being followed there myself. By the way you look great! You can't tell you had such a surgery. The MRI results seem good, a one year MRI follow up sounds fair. I think if the surgeon was too concerned, he would have you repeat it in 6 months. By the way I say Dr. Nedzelski and Dr. Schwartz, do they sound familiar?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 05:05:57 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS on a good report, Lyssa!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lyssa

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:35:27 am »
Hi Vivian, Dr. Chen at Sunnybrook was my ENT surgeon, and Dr. Pirouzmand was the neurosurgeon. I only really met Dr. Pirouzmand the one time a few months before surgery, but have been seeing Dr. Chen regularly. I know the name Dr. Nedzleski, in fact he did my mom's cousin's AN surgery back in the 70's and from what I know has performed this surgery zillions of times!!
26 yrs old.