Author Topic: It's been a year.  (Read 2853 times)

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
It's been a year.
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:49:16 pm »
I just read the thoughts from Pembo about our new AN friend with the 6 cm tumor who may have had surgery today.  This is my surgery day, too,and I am celebrating my one year anniversary.  I hope and pray that our new friend can enjoy the same celebration next year.  This year long journey has been a learning experience for myself and my family.  Though I do have some minor side effects/issues with balance, SSD, tinnitus, and "little nerve issues," I count my blessings daily and reflect on my new perspective on life that I have been afforded by facing AN surgery.  We are a special club of individuals who have shared a traumatic and unique experience.  I have a feeling that we are all better people for what we have endured.  Perhaps there is a reason that we were chosen for this journey.

When I arrived at home late last evening from PT conferences at school, there was a very special card from my hubby on my computer desk accompanied by a small box.  He wrote a note about the journey we have taken together and gave me a diamond "journey" pendant as a keepsake from our travels through AN.  My daughters sent me flowers at school today.  My MRI is in three weeks, and I am very confident that things are going to be OK.  Life is good.  Life goes on.  And we are here.  Thank you AN Friends, and especially Dog Lover Cathy, for all the love and support over the past year.  You made a difference.

SUE :)
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

another NY postie

Re: It's been a year.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:43:16 am »
Sue, that is so beautiful what you wrote!  I, at only 3 weeks post op, was just thinking this morning how blessed I am and the irony of how it took a tumor and major brain surgery to put things in perspective for me...I knew what counted intellectually but now I feel it to the core.  A big difference from me.  And you, being a felllow teacher, have helped me already in preparing for this journey/surgery, and now post-op and having SSD, I am sure I will ask you many "in the classroom" questions to come! :D

So congrats for this one year anniversary!!!!  Enjoy it and I am confident that the MRI in 3 weeks will show nothing!!!

Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:17:54 am »
Sue -

Congratulations on your one year anniversary.  It sounds like this anniversary holds a special meaning to you and your family much as it did for me and I'm sure everyone else who has had surgery or treatment for an AN.  I know what Cheryl meant when she said that it struck her as ironic that it took brain surgery to make her realize how truly blessed she is, I think that's a feeling we all share.  May God less you and your wonderful family.  Please let us know how things go with your MRI.  May your scans show nothing but a brain and the other things that belong inside your head. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:10:23 am »
Happy Anniversary Sue! It is a very special day for you and I'm glad that your family was able to recognize that and were able to help you celebrate. I don't think that there will ever be a year that I do not celebrate my anniversary in some way. I think of it as a second birthday. Congratulations on your 1st year post op!
Erin

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 01:10:59 pm »
Happy Anniversary, Sue.  What a great milestone capped with great rememberances from your loved ones.  I trust the MRI will be uneventful and conclusive that everything is just peachy.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:25:02 pm »
Hi, Sue ~

Happy one-year surgery anniversary! 

I believe that everything happens for a reason.  I also believe that how we deal with adversity is both a learning experience as well as an opportunity for our true character to shine through.  Yours is beaming brightly!  May the next year bring continued healing and more good things to you. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 02:41:06 pm »
Sue, Happy  Anniversary to a fellow Dr Gantz alumni.     There has been several on here over time and many are long gone from the forum!
      Doesn't seem like should be a year already and said same to Cathy.                I wish you many years of good non AN MRIs.
                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 02:45:58 pm »
Yay!  Happy One year!

What an awesome family you have there.  Enjoy, and hold them near and dear!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 08:51:21 pm »
Congratulations, Sue!  Great milestone!  Here's to many more anniversaries with clean MRIs!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 09:05:00 pm »
You could not have described this journey any better.  I completely agree with you and am happy that you are celebrating your life, relationships, and future!  Cheers!  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Vivian B.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:56:02 am »
Hi Sue,

Happy Anniverssary. Great news.  I always remember your good humour on your previous post when you said you wanted to take the tumor home to show your students. I was actually thinking about it yesterday and thought to myself you need to have a sense of humor during this journey to survive. Best of luck.

Vivian 
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.