Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 4999 times)

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
Smokers
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:20:16 pm »
I was wondering if anyone was a, former or still, smoker.  When did you smoke for the first time after surgery?
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Smokers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 07:24:41 pm »
guilty... smoker... no surgery, pre-radio-surgery.. I know, me bad. :(
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

gemaste

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 07:32:12 pm »
Hey Taylor  I also had a AN removal in St. Louis--Barnes Hospital   Hope you are doing better.  Glenn

minnkris

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 12:54:53 pm »
Guilty here as well. I had GK last August (no surgery) and I smoked more than ever before treatment and after. I was feeling kind of gloom and doom. Now, I have no excuse. I guess it's time to quit (again). :(
8mm x 6mm AN left side
GK August, 2005

Kilroy1976

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 02:03:34 pm »
Smoker, before and after radiosurgery. I should probably quit. I'd HATE to ruin my health. ;P
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 03:11:13 pm »
Uh-oh! Smoking?
No, you don't want me up on my soapbox about THIS one! We all have survived an AN--don't wanta haveta "survive" anything else!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 05:40:30 pm »
Guilty and guilty. After the first surgery I started up again as soon as I could drag myself to the corner store and back in the time my father left me alone, somewhere around 3 weeks. The second time around it was within the first week. You are young and fairly new to the addiction, maybe this is your chance to quit, it's very hard to do it the older you get. Ask your doctor about the patch, gum and even Zyban (this drug is also helpful in elevating mood, also known as Wellbutrin). Sorry about the lecture, just well intended advice from someone who wished they could get quit for good!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Raydean

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 08:05:12 pm »
Guilty,  I started back smoking about 3 months post surgery,main tumor surgery. I think I was in more danger from my wife ( I was smoking while she was work, without her knowing.)  I knew she would kill me!!   Let me tell you, boy was I in the doghouse when she found out.  Seriously, it was one of the times when I dissapointed her the most.  This part of it I truly regret.  Jump ahead to alittle over a year ago.  I came down with pneumonia pretty bad.  I was a pretty sick puppy (still in the doghouse for smoking)  I tried to smoke, and couldn't.  I began coughing really hard, scared my daughter, scared me too.  Anyway since then  I can't stand the smell of them.  They don't smell the same.  On the plus side I can now smell things that I couldn't before and, yes I'm out of the doghouse (well at least for that--------)<g>.

Chet
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:06:45 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 10:02:17 pm »
Smoking is bad...Chocolate is good.  When I worked at the hospital in patient care it always amazed me the smokers on the cancer floor with their oxygen on dying from lung cancer sneaking smokes.  I kept waiting for the explosion....

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 04:26:31 am »
Ok ye all,

We have a weekly weigh in, now we can set up a quit smoking campaign.

Laz here is very dissapointed in you for smoking. If nothing else, think of the $ going up in smoke. A packet of fags costs about $10 here. At a packet a day, thats $70 per week and $3,500 per year. How many of you would like a $3,500 pay rise?????

give it away guys.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 10:05:19 am »
I have to agree with Deb and Laz.  Give yourself the pay raise.  Of course I can say that, I never smoked.  I also know how hard it is to deal with so many other things and giving an addiction up.  Good luck everyone. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

matti

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 12:25:31 pm »
Smoking also interferes with recovery time. I have read many articles stating that smokers tend to heal at a much slower rate as opposed to non-smokers. There's another incentive!  :)

Good luck!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 04:04:47 pm »
AAAARRRR!
Smokin' gives wenches wrinlkes! We don't need anymore stinkin' wrinkles than the ones we earn worryin'!
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW