Author Topic: Sleeping on AN Side  (Read 3979 times)

wcrimi

Sleeping on AN Side
« on: September 26, 2009, 08:43:08 am »
I sleep on my side to avoid/reduce snoring.  When I first came out of surgery, I felt reluctant to sleep on my AN side. I guess I was afraid I'd open up the stitches or damage whatever they did inside there.  As the months passed, I started sleeping on that side without major issue. 

However, every once in awhile I feel a very slight discomfort when I roll that side of my head over the pillow. It's sort of a pinching feeling like either a muscle or my skin is getting pinched by the titanium mesh or any other acrylic things they used to substitute for my original skull. It's not a sharp pain or anything. It's more like a quick pinch. Very rarely, I also feel the same thing if I rub my hand over the area, but then is disappears. It's not a major issue because it's so mild. I've sort of learned that if I roll over to that side to do it gently.

I was just wondering if anyone else has that experience.   

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Sleeping on AN Side
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:14:24 am »
Wayne .....

I don't remember whether you had translab, MF, or retro approach surgery ...... not that it necessarily matters with this issue.  I have had two retro surgeries (one on each side) and both times I experienced what you are describing for several months afterwards.  Usually it happened when I rolled over, but not when I lifted my head and placed it straight down on the surgery side.  For a long time after my first surgery 15 years ago I could not lie on my back without getting a headache, but that is no longer the case ..... thank goodness.  Now I usually sleep on my non-AN surgery side because that puts my deaf ear up and it is much quieter to sleep.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wcrimi

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 01:27:13 pm »
Clarice,

I had retro about 10 1/2 months ago. 

It's funny because I do the same thing.  When I'm going to roll over to the AN side, I sort of lift my head and place it down now instead of actually rolling the head too.  Then I don't feel it.

It's not a major issue, but naturally I'd rather it went away.

Wayne
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:17:05 pm »
Wayne ~

Although my incision healed perfectly, without complications, the side of my head that was operated on (my left) felt slightly 'sore' (to the touch) for months afterward and I was unable to sleep on that side.  The 'soreness' went away at about 9 months post-op.  I assumed this was the bone healing.  It's fine, now.  Since the 'soreness' disappeared, I've been able to sleep on it with no problem.   I think this is another instance of each AN surgery patent healing slightly differently.   

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:35:11 pm »
Wayne -

my guess is your head is still recovering from the surgery.  In my case, I experienced numbness for at least the first 9 or 10 months post op, then soreness.  Some time close to the 2 year mark my head started to feel normal again.

Give it time; it should get better.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wcrimi

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 12:19:25 pm »
I'd love to know what it looks like in there...then again maybe not.  :o

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 08:22:46 am »
I also have discomfort when laying on my AN side.  Not sure if it is muscle or other things in there like you said.  I can lay for a few moments on that side, but then end up rolling over and putting my good ear down...then I'm out!
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:28:23 am »
Hello - I have a friend who suggested sleeping on a water pillow or a doughnut pillow so the incision is not rubbing on anything, has anyone tried any of these two?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:30:54 am »
I have not tried a water pillow or doughnut pillow but with my wonkyheadedness issues, the thought of something moving under my head does not sound very relaxing to me.  A stable surface is much better for me.  ..... just a thought.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mellowrama

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:40:10 am »
I can barely lay my head down on the an surgery side....its sensitive and uncomfortable.  Glad to hear that it will likely go away over time.
m
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:07:07 am »
I didn't think I would ever be able to sleep on that side again for the rest of my life! I would try it very tentatively every so often, but it just felt uncomfortable. A little more than a year-and-a-half past my surgery, I can easily sleep on that side and I don't even give it a second thought. I'm sure that I've been doing it for some months now, but just haven't thought about it.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ