Author Topic: Hearing fluctuation  (Read 2678 times)

mandihester

Hearing fluctuation
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:45:45 pm »
I am 3 months post retro sig surgery for my AN.  They were able to preserve my hearing nerve, although I've basically lost functional hearing leaving me with awful tinnitus most of the time.  However, last week I could hear out of my affected ear!  I noticed the tinnitus was WAY better and I wasn't asking folks to repeat themselves as often.  I sometimes test my own hearing by watching a show on my iPad and taking the earbud out of my good ear and see what I can hear.  Last week, I could hear the show (definitely lower than my good ear) but the voices weren't distorted.  I thought I had turned a corner.  WRONG- since yesterday I can basically hear nothing from my right ear, my tinnitus is back to being annoying, and I'm feeling depressed about this.  Has this happened to anyone and what was your overall outcome?
I do go for my second post op hearing test next week. 
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

ANSydney

Re: Hearing fluctuation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:28:14 pm »
mandihester, that sounds like a promising potential development. I'd be very interested in hearing how it goes with time.

mandihester

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:01:43 am »
Much to my surprise my hearing test has improved since December.  I'm still having the same issues as last week (limited hearing and loud tinnitus) but the audiologist thinks the fluctuation is a good sign and will retest it at the end of March.  I'm going to be hopeful!
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:04:21 pm »
Positive sign mandihester. All the best.

Machia2332

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 09:23:01 am »
That's awesome news.  If you haven't already, you may want to find a good Acupunturist.  They might be able to help with the healing process.  For myself I find that tinnitus and facial nerve symptoms vary day to day, they still do for me at around 9 months post op.  Stay positive, even if it seems like the symptoms regressed temporarily.   :)